Sr. Software Engineer (Infrastructure)
Who is Bird
Bird is on a mission to bring environmentally friendly transportation to everyone. Our products, services, and people share one common goal: to make cities more livable by reducing gas-powered car usage, lowering carbon emissions, and improving the safety of all road users.
We are relentless in our pursuit of better—for our riders, for our partners, for our employees, and for future generations. Our award winning electric vehicles help millions of riders take carbon-free trips in more than 300 cities globally. And our teams push boundaries and challenge the status quo in pursuit of a brighter future.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Senior Software Engineer specializing in infrastructure to join our dynamic engineering team. In this role, you will play a crucial role in designing, developing, and maintaining the underlying systems and frameworks that support our software applications and services. Your expertise in building scalable, reliable, and efficient infrastructure solutions will be instrumental in ensuring the smooth operation and performance of our technology stack.
As a Senior Software Engineer for infrastructure, you will collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to design and implement robust infrastructure solutions. You will be responsible for architecting and implementing scalable systems that can handle high traffic loads, optimizing performance and resource utilization, and ensuring high availability and fault tolerance.
- Set direction and guide implementation of core platform and infrastructure systems to support rapid feature iteration
- Define patterns and operational guidelines for software development and deployment
- Do critical R&D in timely fashion
- Work across all disciplines of engineering at Bird: Software, Firmware, and Hardware to identify gaps and advocate for solutions
- Design fault tolerant, highly available systems
- Be part of 24/7 support rotation for critical systems
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience in STEM with 6+ years of professional, relevant experience
- Strong experience with Object Oriented programming and the JVM
- 3+ years of experience with Kubernetes and AWS
- Extensive experience with Flink, Kafka, and real-time streaming systems
- Experience in Kotlin, Golang, Avro, and Java
- Expertise in Hadoop Frameworks
- Extensive experience in Geospatial and IOT systems
Culture at Bird
We're an ambitious, smart and open-minded team that is passionate about our mission. Each day is unlike the last, as we’re constantly moving forward, challenging each other, and working together to create the future of micro-mobility.
We want people to succeed at Bird, so we give our teams plenty of time off to relax and recharge. We also offer a generous employer-paid healthcare package, pre-tax spending accounts, mental health resources, a work from home stipend, and a whole host of other out of the box benefits that meet you where you are.
Bird is the world
Bird stands for a culture of inclusion. We celebrate different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives —encouraging everyone to bring their authentic selves to work. We have a diverse environment that empowers our team to feel comfortable when they voice their opinions. For these reasons and more Bird is a proud equal employment opportunity employer. We welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetics, and we are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.
Sound like a place you’d like to work? Sweet. Let’s chat.