Mechanical Engineering Intern (Fall 2023)
Bastrop, TX, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2023
The Boring Company was founded to solve the problem of soul-destroying traffic by creating an underground network of tunnels. Today, we are creating the technology to increase tunneling speed and decrease costs by a factor of 10 or more with the ultimate goal of making Hyperloop adoption viable and enabling rapid transit across densely populated regions.
The Mechanical Engineering Intern will be given almost as much responsibility as a regular employee. At The Boring Company, 'ownership' is one of our values and we expect all employees (interns included) to own their projects. If hired, you will work in a fast paced environment where everyone is working towards the common goal of revolutionizing transportation.
- Design or support the design of various systems and sub-systems related to operations such as boring machine parts, support systems, support system equipment, tunnel segment production, passenger/construction vehicles and tunnel infrastructure.
- Employ competent use of judgment, hand calculations, FEA and CAD to develop and communicate designs.
- Adhere to the project schedule and ensure timely completion from conception to implementation.
- Communicate schedule to stakeholders and others with dependent systems, bringing attention to changes in the schedule as they happen.
- Constantly evaluate how the system fits into the larger picture of a working operation. Ensure that design choices are in line with the top level needs with ample consideration of future developments.
- Ensure all systems are compliant with appropriate regulations such as MSHA, OSHA, NEC, NFPA, Class 1 Division 2 Hazardous Location.
- High School diploma or GED and pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- 1+ yrs of experience in design using SolidWorks.
- Hands-on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly and/or testing - can be in a professional, academic or recreational setting.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Basic proficiency in machine design.
- Knowledgeable in mechatronics, mechanism design, fluid power system concepts and design, dynamics, material selection, testing methods, and common machining and fabrication processes.
- Experience in creating manufacturing drawings.
- Strong teamwork skills with a proven ability to effectively interact and collaborate with other engineering disciplines.
- Acute attention to detail.
We're a team of dedicated, smart, and scrappy people. Our employees are passionate about our mission and determined to innovate at every opportunity.
We offer employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) plan, paid holidays, paid vacation, and a competitive amount of equity for all permanent employees.
The Boring Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Boring Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
See more open positions at Boring Company
Something looks off?