Sr. Software Engineer (Cloud Engineering)
Our healthcare system is the leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the U.S. Every year, over 50 million Americans suffer adverse financial consequences as a result of seeking care, from lower credit scores to garnished wages. The challenge is only getting worse, as high deductible health plans are the fastest growing plan design in the U.S.
Cedar’s mission is to leverage data science, smart product design and personalization to make healthcare more affordable and accessible. Today, healthcare providers still engage with its consumers in a “one-size-fits-all” approach; and Cedar is excited to leverage consumer best practices to deliver a superior experience.
At a time when consumer-friendly healthcare experiences are more critical than ever, our platform is uniquely equipped to solve problems that lead to billing issues and administrative waste. At Cedar, know that your work will have a meaningful impact on people’s lives. Building these experiences requires solving transformative problems of scale, safety and efficiency; and Cedar’s Platform Engineering organization is tasked with building the foundations that the rest of the organization relies on to ship high-quality software continuously. We are looking for an experienced Senior Engineer on the Cloud Engineering Team to join our team and work with our already highly experienced team of cloud infrastructure and application engineers. This highly skilled individual contributor will contribute to reactive ticketing work and will design and build on application and cloud infrastructure requests within our engineering facing internal operations team including:
In this role you will:
- Scale out Cedar’s production application infrastructure and implement new applications
- Build and maintain tools for a self-service infrastructure that improves developer efficiency
- Help us maintain a healthy balance of proactive (feature-supporting) and reactive (break/fix) work by working with leadership to develop simplification and automation projects.
- Contribute to the design and production of multiple high-impact projects, working across engineering teams to brainstorm and refine solutions, then make them a reality
- Contribute to the Cedar cloud platform, seeking opportunities to make it more stable, cost-efficient, and maintainable and working with leadership to prioritize projects to do that.
- Expand systems for monitoring and application performance management
- Have a strong customer service attitude and be able to communicate clearly in verbal and written forms so that our internal customers can understand and use our infrastructure.
- Help us grow our company, our culture, and our products in support of Cedar’s mission to empower us all to easily and affordably pursue the care we need.
To be successful in this role you will:
- You have experience executing on large technical projects with a strong ownership mentality, focused on delivering value.
- Have experience building software in organizations of all sizes and have documented it to be used by internal and external teams.
- Have a proven track record of taking feedback from leadership and stakeholders to improve on that software.
- You are able to identify trends and areas of opportunity to improve our operational processes and are able to communicate them to leadership as potential project areas.
- You have strong team values and are able to contribute if you see issues occurring or teammates struggling.
- You are able to work independently with a light touch from management.
- 6+ years of DevOps, infrastructure, or site reliability experience
- Expertise with AWS services such as EC2, ECS, and S3
- Significant experience deploying applications/tools into production cloud environments with configuration management tools such as Terraform, Ansible, Chef and/or Puppet
- Excellent scripting skills (Bash, Python, Go, Ruby, etc.)
- Proficiency with modern networking & identity for private cloud and public Internet services and infrastructure security (https, SSH, 2FA, etc.)
- Managed Linux systems and containers (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Familiarity with database and application performance management
Nice to have experience:
- Experience with AWS advanced networking services like VPC Peering, Direct Connect, AWS Transit Gateway, and Elastic Load Balancing.
- Hands-on experience with serverless architectures using AWS Lambda, API Gateway, and the Serverless Framework.
- Advanced understanding of managed database services such as Amazon RDS, Aurora, DynamoDB, and Redshift.
- Experience with modern CI/CD tools and platforms like Jenkins, CircleCI, or GitHub Actions.
- Knowledge of monitoring and logging solutions in AWS like CloudWatch, CloudTrail, and integration with third-party tools such as Datadog.
- Experience with microservices architectures and patterns, understanding of service mesh technologies like Istio or AWS App Mesh.
- Experience in establishing and managing AWS Security Hub, AWS Config, or implementing infrastructure security audits.
- While AWS expertise is essential, experience with other cloud platforms like Google Cloud Platform (GCP) or Microsoft Azure can be advantageous.
Compensation Range and Benefits:
- Salary/Hourly Rate Range*: $153,000 - $180,000
- This role is equity eligible
- This role offers a competitive benefits and wellness package
*Subject to location, experience, and education
What do we offer to the ideal candidate?
- A chance to improve the U.S. healthcare system at a high-growth company! Our leading healthcare financial platform is scaling rapidly, helping millions of patients per year
- Unless stated otherwise, most roles have flexibility to work from home or in the office, depending on what works best for you
- Unlimited PTO for vacation, sick and mental health days–we encourage everyone to take at least 20 days of PTO per year to ensure dedicated time to spend with loved ones, explore, rest and recharge
- 16 weeks paid parental leave with health benefits for all parents, plus flexible re-entry schedules for returning to work
- Diversity initiatives that encourage Cedarians to bring their whole selves to work, including three employee resource groups: be@cedar (for BIPOC-identifying Cedarians and their allies), Pridecones (for LGBTQIA+ Cedarians and their allies) and Cedar Women+ (for female-identifying Cedarians)
- Competitive pay, equity (for qualifying roles) and health benefits that start on the first of the month following your start date (or on your start date if your start date coincides with the first of the month)
- Cedar matches 100% of your 401(k) contributions, up to 3% of your annual compensation
- Access to hands-on mentorship, employee and management coaching, and a team discretionary budget for learning and development resources to help you grow both professionally and personally
Cedar was co-founded by Florian Otto and Arel Lidow in 2016 after a negative medical billing experience inspired them to help improve our healthcare system. With a commitment to solving billing and patient experience issues, Cedar has become a leading healthcare technology company fueled by remarkable growth. Over the past several years, we’ve raised more than $350 million in funding from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Tiger Global, bringing Cedar’s valuation to $3.2 billion.
As of December 2022, Cedar is engaging with 20 million patients on an annualized basis, and is on target to process $2.7 billion in patient payments annually. Cedar’s ambition is to serve 50-60 million Americans by 2025, about half of the U.S. population that makes medical payments annually. Cedar partners with more than 55 leading healthcare providers and payers including Highmark Inc., Allegheny Health Network, Summit Health, Novant Health, Allina Health and Providence.