Principal Engineer (Platforms)
Our healthcare system is the leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the U.S. Every year, over 50 million Americans suffer adverse financial consequences as a result of seeking care, from lower credit scores to garnished wages. The challenge is only getting worse, as high deductible health plans are the fastest growing plan design in the U.S.
Cedar’s mission is to leverage data science, smart product design and personalization to make healthcare more affordable and accessible. Today, healthcare providers still engage with its consumers in a “one-size-fits-all” approach; and Cedar is excited to leverage consumer best practices to deliver a superior experience.
U.S. healthcare is frustrating and deeply flawed. Cedar’s mission is to drive better outcomes for everyone involved, including providers, insurance companies and the people they serve. At a time when consumer-friendly healthcare experiences are more critical than ever, our platform is uniquely equipped to solve problems that lead to billing issues and administrative waste. At Cedar, know that your work will have a meaningful impact on people’s lives.
Building these experiences requires solving transformative problems of scale, safety and efficiency; and Cedar’s Platform Engineering organization is tasked with building the foundations that the rest of the organization relies on to ship high-quality software continuously. We are looking for a thoughtful and experienced Principal Engineer, Platforms to join our team and level up this core function. This highly influential individual contributor will lead hands-on work across our entire product suite, including:
In this position you will:
- Shape the way Cedar’s core product and data infrastructure supports multiple products and integrations, helping us avoid the chaos of death star service architecture
- Dive deep into hard technical tradeoffs and time-sensitive decisions up and down the stack, helping Cedar move quickly but thoughtfully during both week-over-week delivery and incidents
- Collaborate with other senior engineers, product and program managers, designers and data scientists; working constructively through disagreements to align on best practices, push toward consistency where appropriate, and establish technical principles in ways that help us prioritize the right things
- Take ownership of critical projects that unblock Cedar’s growth and scale, navigating ambiguity and balancing short-term and long-term thinking
- Build on top of Cedar’s AWS, Fargate and Snowflake-based infrastructure, using infrastructure-as-code to create repeatable and modular systems that can be extended by other engineers – and helping us extend the model to other clouds and services.
- Ship a mix of proof-of-concept and production-quality Python code in services new and old, earning trust and growing other engineers through a deep connection to practical reality.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- You have experience leading large technical projects with a strong ownership mentality, focused on delivering value (we don’t have a hard requirement, but generally this comes with a significant amount of professional software development experience across organizations of different sizes)
- You can remain focused on the vision through the evolution of complex systems, quickly making decisions and incremental progress while refining targets in light of new data
- You work with both social and technical systems, effectively communicating through diagrams and documentation alongside code and API specs
- You continuously learn on your own, bringing excitement and ideas about how to apply new technology without getting too attached to the HN flavor-of-the-month
Compensation Range and Benefits:
- Salary/Hourly Rate Range*: $238,000 - $280,000
- This role is equity eligible
- This role offers a competitive benefits and wellness package
*Subject to location, experience, and education
What do we offer to the ideal candidate?
- A chance to improve the U.S. healthcare system at a high-growth company! Our leading healthcare financial platform is scaling rapidly, helping millions of patients per year
- Unless stated otherwise, most roles have flexibility to work from home or in the office, depending on what works best for you
- Unlimited PTO for vacation, sick and mental health days–we encourage everyone to take at least 20 days of PTO per year to ensure dedicated time to spend with loved ones, explore, rest and recharge
- 16 weeks paid parental leave with health benefits for all parents, plus flexible re-entry schedules for returning to work
- Diversity initiatives that encourage Cedarians to bring their whole selves to work, including three employee resource groups: be@cedar (for BIPOC-identifying Cedarians and their allies), Pridecones (for LGBTQIA+ Cedarians and their allies) and Cedar Women+ (for female-identifying Cedarians)
- Competitive pay, equity (for qualifying roles) and health benefits that start on the first of the month following your start date (or on your start date if your start date coincides with the first of the month)
- Cedar matches 100% of your 401(k) contributions, up to 3% of your annual compensation
- Access to hands-on mentorship, employee and management coaching, and a team discretionary budget for learning and development resources to help you grow both professionally and personally
Cedar was co-founded by Florian Otto and Arel Lidow in 2016 after a negative medical billing experience inspired them to help improve our healthcare system. With a commitment to solving billing and patient experience issues, Cedar has become a leading healthcare technology company fueled by remarkable growth. Over the past several years, we’ve raised more than $350 million in funding from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Tiger Global, bringing Cedar’s valuation to $3.2 billion.
As of December 2022, Cedar is engaging with 20 million patients on an annualized basis, and is on target to process $2.7 billion in patient payments annually. Cedar’s ambition is to serve 50-60 million Americans by 2025, about half of the U.S. population that makes medical payments annually. Cedar partners with more than 55 leading healthcare providers and payers including Highmark Inc., Allegheny Health Network, Summit Health, Novant Health, Allina Health and Providence.