Staff Backend Engineer (Client Integrations)
Our healthcare system is the leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the U.S. Every year, over 50 million Americans suffer adverse financial consequences as a result of seeking care, from lower credit scores to garnished wages. The challenge is only getting worse, as high deductible health plans are the fastest growing plan design in the U.S.
Cedar’s mission is to leverage data science, smart product design and personalization to make healthcare more affordable and accessible. Today, healthcare providers still engage with its consumers in a “one-size-fits-all” approach; and Cedar is excited to leverage consumer best practices to deliver a superior experience.
As we continue to grow rapidly, we are in need of a Staff Backend Engineer to join the Integrations Pillar of Engineering. The Integrations Pillar is responsible for building out the Integrations between Cedar and its Customers. Building with the Integrations team as a Staff Engineer involves the following opportunities:
- Architecting and building a new Cedar data integrations framework that is integral to launching, supporting and maintaining Cedar clients.
- Prior experience working on data pipelines, ETL platforms and tools to build a modern data sync architecture.
- Collaborating with multiple teams of hardworking engineers, product managers, product designers, and data scientists, sharing ideas cross-functionally about the vision for integrations.
- Leading the development of multiple high-impact projects at once as a key code contributor and domain expert, delegating work, and taking ownership of outcomes.
- Mentoring engineers at a variety of levels. Be a role model and trusted advisor for passionate and driven team members.
- Owning high impact architecture changes and projects spanning multiple teams as a technical leader.
- Driving org-level changes to improve existing processes, infrastructure, architecture, business problems, developer happiness, etc. Think broadly about opportunities to level-up the engineering org.
Cedar’s integrations are the center to Cedar’s success. We’re seeking people who are excited about innovation in healthcare, have solid technical skills, and are comfortable working with ambiguity!
*Cedar is committed to a flexible work environment, so this as well as many of our roles are remote friendly.*
What we look for in a candidate:
- 12+ years of software development experience.
- Experience leading sophisticated engineering projects across teams.
- Track record of leading architectural design changes that span multiple teams and processes.
- Strong computer science fundamentals - a degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field, or similar experience.
- Experience mentoring engineers across levels.
- Experience owning a business-critical application, standing up sophisticated systems that have multiple external integration points and customizable multi stage workflows, and building for supportability and long-term maintenance.
- Ability to help the team ship by guiding teammates through making practical tradeoffs in high stakes situations, and jumping in to help get through a prod blocker.
- Deep knowledge of Python internals.
- Ability to debug complex issues involving subtle interactions between multiple systems and libraries.
- Ability to explain complex technical concepts simply.
- Deep knowledge of Django internals.
- Strong knowledge of SQL and prior experience using BI tools such as Snowflake and Looker to build a deeper understanding of data syncs.
- Experience influencing cross-functional decision making across product and design teams.
Compensation Range and Benefits:
- Salary/Hourly Rate Range*: $216,750 - $255,000
- This role is equity eligible
- This role offers a competitive benefits and wellness package
*Subject to location, experience, and education*
What do we offer to the ideal candidate?
- A chance to improve the U.S. healthcare system at a high-growth company! Our leading healthcare financial platform is scaling rapidly, helping millions of patients per year
- Unless stated otherwise, most roles have flexibility to work from home or in the office, depending on what works best for you
- For exempt employees: Unlimited PTO for vacation, sick and mental health days–we encourage everyone to take at least 20 days of PTO per year to ensure dedicated time to spend with loved ones, explore, rest and recharge
- 16 weeks paid parental leave with health benefits for all parents, plus flexible re-entry schedules for returning to work
- Diversity initiatives that encourage Cedarians to bring their whole selves to work, including the Cedarian Advisory Group (a cross-functional cohort focused on increasing internal inclusiveness at Cedar) and three employee resource groups: be@cedar (for BIPOC-identifying Cedarians and their allies), Pridecones (for LGBTQIA+ Cedarians and their allies) and Cedar Women+ (for female-identifying Cedarians)
- Competitive pay, equity (for qualifying roles) and health benefits that start on the first of the month following your start date (or on your start date if your start date coincides with the first of the month)
- Cedar matches 100% of your 401(k) contributions, up to 3% of your annual compensation
- Access to hands-on mentorship, employee and management coaching, and a team discretionary budget for learning and development resources to help you grow both professionally and personally
Cedar was co-founded by Florian Otto and Arel Lidow in 2016 after a negative medical billing experience inspired them to help improve our healthcare system. With a commitment to solving billing and patient experience issues, Cedar has become a leading healthcare technology company fueled by remarkable growth. Over the past several years, we’ve raised more than $350 million in funding from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Tiger Global, bringing Cedar’s valuation to $3.2 billion.
As of December 2022, Cedar is engaging with 20 million patients on an annualized basis, and is on target to process $2.7 billion in patient payments annually. Cedar’s ambition is to serve 50-60 million Americans by 2025, about half of the U.S. population that makes medical payments annually. Cedar partners with more than 55 leading healthcare providers and payers including Highmark Inc., Allegheny Health Network, Summit Health, Novant Health, Allina Health and Providence.