Sr Backend Engineer (Payments)
Our healthcare system is the leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the U.S. Every year, over 50 million Americans suffer adverse financial consequences as a result of seeking care, from lower credit scores to garnished wages. The challenge is only getting worse, as high deductible health plans are the fastest growing plan design in the U.S.
Cedar’s mission is to leverage data science, smart product design and personalization to make healthcare more affordable and accessible. Today, healthcare providers still engage with its consumers in a “one-size-fits-all” approach; and Cedar is excited to leverage consumer best practices to deliver a superior experience.
As we continue to rapidly grow our client base, we are in need of a Senior Engineer to join the Payments team. Payments is core to Cedar’s business to process bill pay from patients, and support Cedar’s expansion with integrations with various payment processors and gateways. The Payments team builds and maintains functionality, features, and workflows as part of a sprawling payments platform that supports all Cedar applications (i.e. Cedar Pay, Cedar Pre and Operator).
- Design and build new features with various payment processors and gateways integrations.
- Optimize payment services to promote reliability and scalability.
- Support engineers with technical mentorship, perform hands-on coding, and participate in code and design reviews.
- Support your counterparts on the product and client success teams to understand and solve payment problems, formulate technical strategy, and enhance the payment platform.
- Drive org-level changes to improve existing processes, infrastructure, architecture, business problems, developer happiness, etc.
Required Skills & Experience
- 5+ years of professional software development experience.
- You are excited about our mission and want to solve problems for our patients.
- Backend focused with deep knowledge of realtime services, batch processing, and 3rd party integrations.
- Experience owning a business-critical application, standing up complex new systems, and building for supportability and long-term maintenance.
- Ability to help the team ship by guiding teammates through making practical tradeoffs in high stakes situations and jumping in to help get through a prod blocker.
- Ability to debug complex issues involving subtle interactions between multiple systems and libraries.
- Ability to explain sophisticated technical concepts simply.
- Experience mentoring engineers across all levels.
Compensation Range and Benefits
- Salary/Hourly Rate Range*: $195,500 - $230,000
- This role is equity eligible
- This role offers a competitive benefits and wellness package
*Subject to location, experience, and education
What do we offer to the ideal candidate?
- A chance to improve the U.S. healthcare system at a high-growth company! Our leading healthcare financial platform is scaling rapidly, helping millions of patients per year
- Unless stated otherwise, most roles have flexibility to work from home or in the office, depending on what works best for you
- For exempt employees: Unlimited PTO for vacation, sick and mental health days–we encourage everyone to take at least 20 days of PTO per year to ensure dedicated time to spend with loved ones, explore, rest and recharge
- 16 weeks paid parental leave with health benefits for all parents, plus flexible re-entry schedules for returning to work
- Diversity initiatives that encourage Cedarians to bring their whole selves to work, including the Cedarian Advisory Group (a cross-functional cohort focused on increasing internal inclusiveness at Cedar) and three employee resource groups: be@cedar (for BIPOC-identifying Cedarians and their allies), Pridecones (for LGBTQIA+ Cedarians and their allies) and Cedar Women+ (for female-identifying Cedarians)
- Competitive pay, equity (for qualifying roles) and health benefits that start on the first of the month following your start date (or on your start date if your start date coincides with the first of the month)
- Cedar matches 100% of your 401(k) contributions, up to 3% of your annual compensation
- Access to hands-on mentorship, employee and management coaching, and a team discretionary budget for learning and development resources to help you grow both professionally and personally
Cedar was co-founded by Florian Otto and Arel Lidow in 2016 after a negative medical billing experience inspired them to help improve our healthcare system. With a commitment to solving billing and patient experience issues, Cedar has become a leading healthcare technology company fueled by remarkable growth. Over the past several years, we’ve raised more than $350 million in funding from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Tiger Global, bringing Cedar’s valuation to $3.2 billion.
As of December 2022, Cedar is engaging with 20 million patients on an annualized basis, and is on target to process $2.7 billion in patient payments annually. Cedar’s ambition is to serve 50-60 million Americans by 2025, about half of the U.S. population that makes medical payments annually. Cedar partners with more than 55 leading healthcare providers and payers including Highmark Inc., Allegheny Health Network, Summit Health, Novant Health, Allina Health and Providence.