Sr. Corporate & Commercial Counsel
Our healthcare system is the leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the U.S. Every year, over 50 million Americans suffer adverse financial consequences as a result of seeking care, from lower credit scores to garnished wages. The challenge is only getting worse, as high deductible health plans are the fastest growing plan design in the U.S.
Cedar’s mission is to leverage data science, smart product design and personalization to make healthcare more affordable and accessible. Today, healthcare providers still engage with its consumers in a “one-size-fits-all” approach; and Cedar is excited to leverage consumer best practices to deliver a superior experience.
We are seeking a Senior Corporate and Commercial Counsel to join our Legal & Compliance Team as our lead attorney supporting Cedar’s commercial sales and strategic partnerships and providing corporate legal support for the company for strategic transactions, board & corporate governance, and day-to-day corporate matters as they arise.
At Cedar, we offer customizable, enterprise solutions aimed at improving the healthcare experience for Americans, so our commercial agreements are large, complex and highly negotiated. This is a unique opportunity to lead these efforts on behalf of the Legal & Compliance Team, and so we need a strong corporate counsel with strong drafting and negotiation skills, who enjoys and excels at their craft and is a solid strategic partner to the business.
- Support business teams in structuring, drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements, particularly Cedar’s commercial sales and strategic transactions.
- Provide assistance with corporate legal matters, such as board meeting preparation, corporate approvals, partnership and advisor agreements, fundraising, and M&A, on a flexible, as-needed basis.
- Develop, refine and keep up to date standard templates for Cedar’s business, including standard commercial contracts (MSA, SOWs, order forms), NDAs, license agreements, advisor and consulting agreements, etc.
- Partner with our legal operations and other teams to improve and evolve our CLM tools and legal processes to leverage technology and derive business intelligence from commercial contracts.
- Support business teams in reviewing, editing, and negotiating a wide range of contracts, including customer agreements, vendor agreements, service level/support agreements, software license agreements, consultant agreements, marketing agreements, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Hiring, oversight and management of outside counsel.
- Contribute as a team player to help further the status of the Legal & Compliance department as an effective, respected, and valued resource within the company.
Required Skills & Experience
- JD Degree from an accredited law school and license in good standing to practice law in at least one state bar.
- 8+ years relevant experience working as a commercial/corporate counsel and/or top law firm (a combination of both is a plus), with a minimum of 5 years focused experience in technology transactions and/or enterprise SaaS.
- Previous experience in tech/start-up/emerging growth companies preferred.
- Excellent commercial negotiation and drafting skills, including prior experience building and maintaining contract templates. Previous experience in healthcare and/or commercial contracting experience with payers and/or providers are pluses (but not required - we need great corporate & commercial legal skills, we can help you learn healthcare).
- You get excited about plain English legal drafting, the use of technology to improve legal services, and how to make contracting more straightforward and streamlined.
- Keen business and legal judgment. You know when to say yes or no, but you also know when to escalate concerns.
- Comfortable negotiating and working independently, but knowledgeable about when to seek input from others both in the legal department and other business teams.
- You value commercial relationships, and have experience in managing and negotiating directly with other large organizations and their in-house legal departments.
- Self-starter, who exhibits a “can do” attitude and excels at building solid, collaborative working relationships across multiple functions.
Compensation Range and Benefits
- Salary: $221,000 - $265,000
- This role is equity eligible
- This role offers a competitive benefits and wellness package
*Subject to location, experience, and education
What do we offer to the ideal candidate?
- A chance to improve the U.S. healthcare system at a high-growth company! Our leading healthcare financial platform is scaling rapidly, helping millions of patients per year
- Unless stated otherwise, most roles have flexibility to work from home or in the office, depending on what works best for you
- For exempt employees: Unlimited PTO for vacation, sick and mental health days–we encourage everyone to take at least 20 days of PTO per year to ensure dedicated time to spend with loved ones, explore, rest and recharge
- 16 weeks paid parental leave with health benefits for all parents, plus flexible re-entry schedules for returning to work
- Diversity initiatives that encourage Cedarians to bring their whole selves to work, including the Cedarian Advisory Group (a cross-functional cohort focused on increasing internal inclusiveness at Cedar) and three employee resource groups: be@cedar (for BIPOC-identifying Cedarians and their allies), Pridecones (for LGBTQIA+ Cedarians and their allies) and Cedar Women+ (for female-identifying Cedarians)
- Competitive pay, equity (for qualifying roles) and health benefits that start on the first of the month following your start date (or on your start date if your start date coincides with the first of the month)
- Cedar matches 100% of your 401(k) contributions, up to 3% of your annual compensation
- Access to hands-on mentorship, employee and management coaching, and a team discretionary budget for learning and development resources to help you grow both professionally and personally
Cedar was co-founded by Florian Otto and Arel Lidow in 2016 after a negative medical billing experience inspired them to help improve our healthcare system. With a commitment to solving billing and patient experience issues, Cedar has become a leading healthcare technology company fueled by remarkable growth. Over the past several years, we’ve raised more than $350 million in funding from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Tiger Global, bringing Cedar’s valuation to $3.2 billion.
As of December 2022, Cedar is engaging with 20 million patients on an annualized basis, and is on target to process $2.7 billion in patient payments annually. Cedar’s ambition is to serve 50-60 million Americans by 2025, about half of the U.S. population that makes medical payments annually. Cedar partners with more than 55 leading healthcare providers and payers including Highmark Inc., Allegheny Health Network, Summit Health, Novant Health, Allina Health and Providence.