Senior or Staff Backend Engineer, Views (Typescript, PostgreSQL, AWS)
ClickUp is the world's only all-in-one productivity platform that flexes to the way people want to work. It replaces all individual workplace productivity tools with a single, unified platform including project management, document collaboration, spreadsheets, chat, goals, and more. On a mission to make the world more productive, ClickUp is headquartered in San Diego and scaling remotely and internationally. As one of the fastest-growing SaaS companies in the world, ClickUp helps millions of users to be more productive and save at least one day every week. 🦄
ClickUp is looking for a passionate and dedicated backend engineer to help us scale and support our growing platform. You’ll be joining the team powering everything happening behind the scenes.
The backend engineering team is responsible for creating and supporting all APIs and services that power our app and handle our users’ data. Employees in this role work closely with our frontend, quality assurance, and product teams to create a user experience that fosters ClickUp's high standards.
One of the primary responsibilities for our backend team is implementing and maintaining highly efficient API endpoints, workers, and services that can scale to support our rapidly growing user base. You will work primarily in Node.js and PostgreSQL and deploy to a globally distributed infrastructure hosted on Amazon Web Services. An ideal candidate would also have experience with queuing services, in-memory data stores, WebSocket management, monitoring and alerts, and continuous integration techniques.
Collaboration and partnership are vital to how ClickUp operates. A significant portion of your responsibilities will include working closely with members of the frontend team to develop features together and collaborating closely with quality assurance to maintain high standards. You may also be tasked with creating tools for one of our non-engineering teams to make processes within the company more efficient. A highly developed set of communication skills are important for successfully fulfilling these responsibilities and many others. You must be an effective verbal and written communicator in describing technical applications.
We’re scaling quickly, so we’re recruiting teammates who share our core values, know how to get sh*t done, and would add a lot to our very driven culture.
- Implement and maintain the API endpoints, services, and workers that power all of the exciting new features on our roadmap.
- Write efficient and concise SQL queries to use within our app, for reporting data metrics, and managing the integrity of the data within our databases.
- Identifying and troubleshooting errors and performance issues that occur within our infrastructure.
- Participate in designing and building systems for maximum performance, reliability, and scalability.
- Work closely with frontend, quality assurance, and product teams.
- Be able to conceptualize all the various parts of our infrastructure and how they all work together.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of experience writing and maintaining API's in a production-level environment (preferably with Node.js).
- Knowledge of SQL and relational databases (preferably PostgreSQL).
- Experience with AWS or another cloud service.
- A strong self-starter, operationally-focused; a problem-solver.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
ClickUp was founded on a culture of hard work, consistent growth, and a desire to break norms. We’re a values-driven company and hire based on ambition, merit, and a willingness to do what it takes to succeed. We don’t care where you’re from, what you look like, or who you’re in a relationship with—we hire the best people for the job, and create an environment that supports employees on their journey to do the most exciting work of their lives! ClickUp is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.