Lead Backend Engineer
Posted on Thursday, June 1, 2023
🧠 About Cortex
Cortex is an internal developer portal built to accelerate the path to engineering excellence. Companies like Docker, TripAdvisor, and Brex use Cortex to catalog, score, and assign action to improve service quality and velocity, so devs can get back to work that drives the business forward.
We’re fully remote and welcome candidates from anywhere in the US! We have quarterly offsites where we fly the whole team out to meet in person, build stronger relationships, kick off important projects, and have fun!
We’re a small but mighty group of ~50 passionate individuals excited about building a product that developers love. We raised $35M in Series B Funding in 2023 led by IVP with Sequoia Capital and previously raised a series A co-led by Tiger Global and Sequoia Capital. You can read more about it here.
💼 Job Summary
We are seeking a Lead Backend Engineer to join our team. As the Lead Backend Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining the backend infrastructure that powers our developer portal. You will work closely with the product and support engineering teams to build a scalable and reliable platform that helps developers build continuously reliable software.
We’re building a new category of developer tooling, and as we onboard more enterprises onto the platform, you will be solving deeply technical problems and diving into scalability issues.
- Design, implement, and maintain the backend infrastructure that powers our developer portal
- Design and build new features and enhance existing ones
- Build high-performing, reliable and scalable systems
- Hire, mentor and coach junior engineers to help them grow and develop their skills
- Write clean, maintainable, and testable code that adheres to best practices
- Partner with engineering, product, leadership, sales, and our customers to ensure our designs are technically feasible and create great user experiences
- Continually improve existing planning, development, deployment processes
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience
- 7+ years of experience building backend applications using any modern programming language
- Experience with distributed systems, microservices, and cloud computing platforms
- Experience with modern data storage solutions, such as MySQL, Postgres, MongoDB etc.
- Knowledge of current standard methodologies and to try, learn and adapt to new technologies and programming languages
- Solid fundamental skills in data structures, algorithms, and web development best practices
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to mentor and coach junior engineers
🌴 Perks & Benefits
- Competitive salary and equity/stock options
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits
- $400 monthly perks stipend
- 401k plan
- Unlimited PTO
- Gender-neutral parental leave
- Quarterly team retreats (previously San Francisco, Miami, Austin)
- Our job titles may span more than one career level. The base pay for this role starts between $135,000 and $200,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role is eligible for equity and benefits
- Cortex is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Cortex is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please email [email protected]