Staff Software Engineer
At Grata, we're seeking a seasoned Staff Software Engineer with a strong focus on backend engineering. The ideal candidate is a passionate engineer who has a proven track record in creating efficient and high-performance technology. If you're eager to contribute to a state-of-the-art private company search engine, we'd like to meet you. The successful candidate will leverage their deep understanding of engineering principles, excellent system designs, and product thinking to propel our data systems and applications forward, thereby providing even more value for our enterprise users.
About the Role:
- Craft high-quality code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for scalable software systems. Uphold and advocate for these standards during code review.
- Champion improvements to product quality, security, and performance that impact not just your team but also other teams in the organization.
- Optimize the runtime of our distributed system, including AWS services, databases and our search engine. Your goal will be to achieve ambitious performance targets at all levels of our architecture, from the customer-facing API down to the lowest layer.
- Collaborate with Machine Learning Engineers to develop new AI-powered features.
- Design and deploy scalable data infrastructure within a distributed, event-driven architecture.
- Prototype and experiment with new technologies and tools as part of ongoing innovation efforts.
- Minimum of 8 years experience as a Software Engineer.
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent work experience.
- Solid experience with Python and its ecosystem, including frameworks like Django and Flask.
- Hands-on experience with Kafka, Kubernetes or similar technologies.
- Familiarity with AWS and its suite of services.
- Experience architecting, building, and supporting event-driven microservice architectures in production environments.
- Deep understanding of database internals, including data structures, indexing, query optimization, and performance tuning to ensure efficient operation of databases. You should also have experience dealing with issues that arise from distributed databases, such as network partitioning.
- Experience in configuring, managing, and maintaining database clusters for high availability and failover support. This should include knowledge of different clustering architectures, distributed databases, partitioning/sharding data, consensus algorithms, and load balancing strategies.
- Demonstrated experience in owning features from the conceptual phase through to release.
- An appreciation for productivity and a deep commitment to driving efficiency.
- Bonus points if you have experience with ElasticSearch
- Based local to New York City and open to a hybrid working environment requiring at least 3 days in-office per week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday).
Grata is the first search engine for company discovery, providing a single source of truth to find small to middle market private companies. We are developing cutting-edge search technology leveraging NLP and ML to automate the B2B research process on millions of small and medium businesses in the U.S. We’ve recently experienced significant growth and raised capital from top investors who built Google and transformed the finance industry.
When we find the right person, we strive to put our best foot forward with an offer we hope you find compelling. Actual compensation packages at the time of offers are based on a wide array of factors unique to each candidate, including, but not limited to: what you’d like to be paid, the skills/experience you bring and any role-dependent factors such as software expertise, what similar jobs pay in the NYC area, and our commitment to equal pay for equal work among those you’ll be working with. The compensation for this role is targeted at $190,000-$210,000, plus equity. Transparency is a core value at Grata, and we welcome direct conversations with each candidate about compensation in all of our initial calls.
Grata is committed to building an inclusive, equitable, and diverse organization. We embrace equal opportunity for all applicants and seek to foster a culture of belonging for our employees. We recognize and appreciate that the more inclusive we are, the better we will function as a team. Grata welcomes qualified applicants of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or family status, disability, military veteran status, and any other status or background.
Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the United States. At this time, we are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa.