Harmonic is using data and AI to map the world of startups. When companies are first formed, they’re invisible to the world. We help those who serve them find them first, to provide the right capital, products and talent at the right time.
Today, we’re honored to have some of the leading firms and companies depend on harmonic.ai as their source of startup data. Firms like Accel, NEA, Brex, Notion, and Google Ventures to connect startups with the capital and resources that they need to drive growth. We’re backed by some of the best investors too, who started their journey with us as customers: Craft, Sozo, Floodgate, and Index’s scout fund (~$30M raised 💰).
We believe that your rate of learning and improving is more important than where you are today. And we invite you to reach out if you’re driven, curious, optimistic, and passionate about mastering your craft, regardless of your background!
Before reading further, take a look at our cultural values and see if it reasonates with you!
We are looking for an engineer to join our team and help us unlock the full potential of our most critical asset: our data. You will have direct impact on our revenue and delivering value to our customers by ensuring that our systems can handle the complex relationship between our entities.
You will be responsible for scaling our knowledge graph infrastructure and managing our time series data. You will also evaluate and improve our data storage and taxonomy systems, and mentor and manage other engineers on the team.
We are looking for someone who is constantly looking for ways to increase the effectiveness of the team through the use of technology, and who shares our values of being low ego, obsessed, curious, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you!
What you will do
- Derive deeper insight from our data by scaling our current knowledge graph infrastructure to handle hundreds of millions of startup related data.
- Deeply understand how our insight layer is connected to the rest of our application layer and ensure the needs of our customers as well as our teams are met by focusing on performance, observability, and most importantly customer demand.
- Evaluate how we store time series data and help us scale it 10x the current throughput in an iterative manner.
- Leverage ML infrastructure and services to continually improve our taxonomy and derive relevant signals from the underlying data.
- Track record of building highly performant, highly observable, and highly scalable systems.
- 5+ years of experience building scalable distributed systems.
- Experience with streaming technologies (Pub/Sub, Kafka, RabbitMQ, etc).
- Experience with various data storage solutions (SQL, NoSQL / key-value stores).
- Candidate is in either NY, Bay Area, or SoCal. Team is fully remote, however we meet frequently within these regions.
- 2+ years of experience in an early-stage startup.
- 3+ years of experience in leading teams either as a Technical Lead or Engineering Manager.
- Proven track record migrating systems in a changing environment that allows for little to no downtime to meet increasing demand.
- Obsessed about your craft and share your knowledge (tech talks, articles, open source, etc).
- Experience in working in Python/strongly typed languages.
$150k-$220k Salary + Equity depending on level
We despise the typical software engineering interview process because it does not align with our day-to-day work. We structured our interview process around pragmatism. Expect us to ask questions closely aligned with the work we expect you to do.
Here’s our interview process:
- (30 mins) Chat about the role: Let's talk about the role and whether this is a good mutual fit. If it is clear early on it is not going to work, we can make the call shorter.
- (30 min) Chat about culture: Let's talk about whether Harmonic is the right place for you or not.
- (45 mins) Call with Product partner: See if we would collaborate well.
- (4 Hours) Follow up on take-home: Detailed discussion of the take-home and digging in deeper to measure technical skills. This will involve coding with 2-3 engineers on our team. We will pay for your time.
- (30 mins) Call with our CEO: Meet our CEO and ask questions about the company.
- (Async) Referrals check.
- (1+ day) Dinner: Let's get to know each other over dinner. We can only get to know each other so much through video calls. We believe this is a critical hire and believe this investment is necessary. Flight and housing (if needed) are covered.
- 🩺 Top of the line health, dental and vision insurance, with 100% premium covered
- 📈 401k matching
- 🌴 Unlimited vacation and sick leave
- 🌍 Fully-distributed, work from anywhere
Read about our company culture
Something looks off?