Engineering Manager, Product
We’re living at the dawn of a borderless world, but most people still don't have the tools needed to engage in critical high-trust services including everything from access to financial services, to sharing assets in peer-to-peer marketplaces, and even managing talent. At MetaMap, our work is centered on addressing this gap by building an identity data protocol that surfaces merits in the form of legal, financial, and work data. We’re energized by the unlimited potential that comes from this collective coordination, the removal of barriers to access, and the future we’re building towards — one that is interconnected and equitable. If you believe in our mission to help unlock borderless growth too, come join the MetaMap team!
About the Role
As the Engineering Manager overseeing the development of customer-facing applications and features at MetaMap, you will play a pivotal role in leading and shaping our front-end engineering team. Your team will be the bridge between user needs and technical implementation, emphasizing user experience and functionality. You’ll work closely with cross-functional partners to drive the development and delivery of user-friendly and responsive front-end experiences that delight our customers.
What You Will Do
- Build a high-performing team. Lead, develop, and hire a team of product engineers while creating a collaborative and high-performing culture. Provide your team with clear and actionable goals that contribute to the company roadmap. Hold them accountable for achieving these goals in a way that supports their growth and development.
- Partner closely with leadership to define and implement our customer-facing development strategy, including implementing frameworks and best practices to ensure the scalability and performance of our front-end systems.
- Work closely with the VPP to set a healthy development rhythm. Cycles that are too fast can be said to be too incremental. Cycles that are too slow are often considered indigested. You will be instrumental in setting the balance.
- Partner closely with cross-functional teams, including product management, design, platform engineering and ML engineering to influence strategy and ensure alignment on deliverables.
- Prioritize and oversee the execution of all customer-facing development projects, ensuring they are delivered on time and within budget while fulfilling market and customer requirements. You’ll also keep stakeholders informed of project status and address potential roadblocks.
- Implement and maintain quality assurance processes, code reviews, and testing methodologies to ensure the production of high-quality code.
- Monitor and optimize the performance of front-end applications to provide a seamless and responsive user experience.
What Are We Looking For
- Technical Experience: You have 8+ years of total engineering experience and 5+ years of experience coding in one of the following languages: Java, Phython, or Nodejs.
- Leadership Experience: You have 3+ years of experience as a people leader managing others and are comfortable holding engineers accountable to metrics.
- People Leadership: You’re comfortable leading groups of various sizes and you have a track record of building high-performing teams. You set clear goals and expectations for each member of your team and hold them accountable for producing. You consistently deliver clear and transparent feedback that inspires growth.
- Problem-Solving: You’re able to manage and troubleshoot multiple workstreams simultaneously while always optimizing for speed and accuracy.
- Project Executor: You can organize individuals and teams to deliver high-quality end-to-end projects. You are comfortable navigating ambiguous situations, making decisions to build and maintain momentum, and providing feedback when needed.
- Quality Expert: You place a strong emphasis on ensuring code quality through the implementation of rigorous code reviews and testing methodologies. You demonstrate accountability and ownership for the quality of work your team produces.
- Strong Communicator: You excel at understanding the broader context, breaking down complex problems, and developing a clear plan. You can articulate your thoughts clearly and can help others achieve the same. You can easily describe a technical problem to a non-technical audience and enjoy being in front of customers if a circumstance calls for it.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: As a leader, you play a crucial role in shaping the company's direction, strategizing, and working closely with senior leaders across multiple functions within the organization. You excel at understanding the broader context and are not afraid to seek help when needed.
- Lifelong Learner: You have a passion for certain technologies and are always curious about new ones. You enjoy sharing your knowledge with others and fostering a culture of continuous learning.
- Spanish Fluency: You are either a native Spanish speaker or have full working proficiency.
MetaMap is building tools that power a borderless world where everyone has equal access to opportunity based on their merits. As a proud equal opportunity employer, we live by these same values, celebrate diversity, and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our employees. We are also committed to a fair and inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible.
We evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or any other legally protected class. All employment decisions including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.