Software Engineer, Lab Systems
We are creating the future of brain-computer interfaces: building devices now that have the potential to help people with paralysis regain mobility and independence and invent new technologies that could expand our abilities, our community, and our world.
The Department of Pathology is embedded within Neuralink’s Research Services Organization and is committed to building a world-class, state-of-the-art lab equipped with automated instrumentation. The Pathology Department deploys both existing and emerging technologies for high fidelity tissue analysis. The Digital & Computational Pathology core represents the imaging branch of the Pathology Department and is responsible for performing due diligence of new imaging and image analysis platforms in addition to managing existing platforms and building custom analysis pipelines.
Our Pathology Department is seeking an experienced machine learning engineer to support applied and preclinical research in the setting of brain-computer interfaces. This position will require application of computer vision, machine learning, and software engineering to develop custom computational methods for automating tissue based analyses and interrogating basic biological features.
An individual in this role will:
- Work directly with scientists and software engineers to solve cutting-edge problems
- Design and develop image processing architecture and evaluate image processing algorithms
- Work directly with software engineering teammates to productionize algorithms
- Write custom code for algorithm development and model training, converting custom solutions to enable use by non-coders (i.e. pathologist, study directors, etc.) as needed
- Develop and automate machine learning based tissue segmentation algorithms to enhance manual annotations in image analysis workflows
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, high levels of creativity and flexibility, and possess a highly collaborative approach to problem-solving
- Possess a high level of self-motivation, comfort with complex multi-tasking, ability to work independently with minimal assistance
- Present data in team meetings and participate in the technical reports in support of regulatory documents, as needed
- Communicates and partners with cross-disciplinary teams including, but not limited to, engineering, regulatory compliance, scientists, and other professionals
An individual in this role will deploy convolutional neural networks in machine learning projects aimed at complex feature and pattern recognition, spatial analysis and other evaluations routinely employed in digital pathology.
Other duties may be assigned.
- Evidence of exceptional ability in engineering or computer science.
- Experience in creating and delivering solutions to problems in the Computer Vision space
- Experience in designing and productionizing ML models.
- You find large challenges exciting and enjoy discovering and defining problems as much as solving them.
- You deliver. You may enjoy thoughtful conversations about problems and perfecting designs, but in the end, you know that what matters is delivering a manufacturable solution that works every time.
- You are a cross-disciplinary team member. You are excited to work with and learn from software, mechanical, electrical, materials, biological engineers, and neuroscientists. You are comfortable communicating across teams.
- Resourceful, flexible and adaptable; no task is too big or too small.
- Experience solving problems in life science disciplines. This is not required, any excellent machine learning engineer is encouraged to apply!
- Experience in analyzing complex datasets, driving insights, and communicating results in a simple and clear way.
Based on California law, the following details are for California individuals only:
What we offer:
- An opportunity to change the world and work with some of the smartest and most talented experts from different fields.
- Growth potential. We rapidly advance team members who have an outsized impact.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance through a PPO plan; parental leave.
- Flexible time off + paid holidays.
- Equity + 401(k) plan.
- Commuter Benefits.
- Meals provided.
Multiple studies have found that a higher percentage of women and BIPOC candidates won't apply if they don't meet every listed qualification. Neuralink values candidates of all backgrounds. If you find yourself excited by our mission but you don't check every box in the description, we encourage you to apply anyway!
Neuralink provides equal opportunity in all of our employment practices to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military status, genetic information or any other category protected by federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruitment, hiring, compensation, promotion, transfer, disciplinary action, layoff, return from layoff, training and social, and recreational programs. All such employment decisions will be made without unlawfully discriminating on any prohibited basis.