Surgery Operations Engineer
We are creating the future of brain-computer interfaces: building devices now that have the potential to help people with paralysis regain mobility and independence and invent new technologies that could expand our abilities, our community, and our world.
Join the budding Surgery Operations Team as we work cross-functionally to optimize the patient’s surgical experience from scheduling to the operation itself to recovery and returning home. You will have the opportunity to partner with colleagues across the company to scale the speed and throughput of our surgeries, as well as drive continuous technical improvements to the surgery process. Build whatever is needed to:
- easily plan surgeries
- enable efficient surgical workflows
- illuminate failure modes and facilitate rapid process improvement
We are looking for driven process engineers with interdisciplinary skillsets who thrive in autonomous environments and love to solve hard problems.
Job Responsibilities and Description:
- Develop designs to improve our surgery processes, and assess impact changes have on existing workflows. Improve process efficiency to save time and automate multiple phases of the surgical process.
- Lead root-cause investigations and update/develop workflows as needed to optimize surgery.
- Have a clear understanding of how to apply risk assessments.
- Develop real-time dashboards for KPIs, issues tracking, and implement process improvements.
- Build software within and outside of a lab management system. Assist in maintaining, querying, and analyzing data.
- Implement a method for automatically gathering metrics from surgeries (such as step times, issues, deviations, and tracking number of cancellations).
- Display excellent people skills while working with multiple teams with diverse communication styles.
- Be an excellent communicator who can clearly and effectively translate design requirements into action.
- Apply experience in solutions architecture, logistics, project timelines, milestones, and resource management to frameworks.
- Gain a thorough understanding of surgery in order to inform process design.
- Strong understanding of engineering first principles and operations engineering
- Excited about research, neurosurgery, logistics, software, and understanding how systems work at fundamental levels.
- Ability to see inefficiencies in multifaceted processes and fix them. You find large challenges exciting and enjoy discovering and defining problems as much as solving them.
- Design and implement effective software solutions, analyze data, and create dashboards.
- Proficient in at least one general purpose programming language, such as Python, Ruby, C++, or Java
- Able to apply solutions architecture concepts to lead/drive projects through to completion.
- You have meticulous attention to detail and organizational skills leading to thoughtful designs but you know that what matters is delivering an implementable solution that works every time.
- Resourceful, flexible, and adaptable; no task is too big or too small. Ability to thrive in a dynamic environment.
- Willing and eager to go above and beyond/flexible schedule.
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills, and enjoy independent learning, doing research, and presenting on a wide variety of topics.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a cross-disciplinary team environment. You are excited to not only work with and learn from engineers, surgery staff, neuroscientists, and animal care staff among others, but lead a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Undergraduate degree in a STEM field. Bachelor’s Degree in science or engineering, or equivalent in experience and ability.
- Experience designing/running a test for a complex system.
- Understanding of surgery, animal research, neuroscience, and/or engineering
- Familiarity with medical and engineering terminology and tools
- Relevant experience supporting a technical team.
- Background in Bioengineering, Industrial Engineering, Operations Engineering/Research, Systems Engineering, Computer Science
What we offer:
- An opportunity to change the world and work with some of the smartest and most talented experts from different fields.
- Growth potential. We rapidly advance team members who have an outsized impact.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance through a PPO plan; parental leave.
- Flexible time off + paid holidays.
- Equity + 401(k) plan.
- Commuter Benefits.
- Meals provided.
Multiple studies have found that a higher percentage of women and BIPOC candidates won't apply if they don't meet every listed qualification. Neuralink values candidates of all backgrounds. If you find yourself excited by our mission but you don't check every box in the description, we encourage you to apply anyway!
Neuralink provides equal opportunity in all of our employment practices to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military status, genetic information or any other category protected by federal, state and local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruitment, hiring, compensation, promotion, transfer, disciplinary action, layoff, return from layoff, training and social, and recreational programs. All such employment decisions will be made without unlawfully discriminating on any prohibited basis.