Command Line Design Engineer - Rust
Software Engineering, Design
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2023
In this role, you will be responsible for designing and developing Ockam's Open Source Command Line.
Ockam crates implement a collection of messaging and cryptographic protocols that provide end-to-end application layer trust in data. We believe that, in order to have a realistically manageable vulnerability surface, all modern applications need end-to-end guarantees of data integrity and authenticity. The only way to build secure and private applications is to remove unnecessary implicit trust in network boundaries, intermediaries and infrastructure.
As a Command Line Design Engineer, you will play a crucial role in developing and improving our command line interface (CLI) tools, ensuring they deliver a seamless and user-friendly experience. You will need to combine your expertise in Rust programming with a strong focus on user experience (UX) design to create efficient and intuitive command line interfaces that meet the needs of our customers.
The Ockam team is passionate about making powerful cryptographic protocols simple and safe for application developers. In this role you will collaborate across the Ockam Engineering team to deliver a safe, secure, stable, well-documented, easy to use, 100% open source Rust command line.
- Strong proficiency in Rust programming language, with a proven track record of developing robust and efficient command line applications.
- Experience with user experience (UX) design principles and methodologies, and a demonstrated ability to create intuitive and user-friendly interfaces.
- Customer empathy and the ability to understand user needs and translate them into effective design solutions.
- Excellent problem-solving and debugging skills, with a keen attention to detail.
- Building components in complex code bases.
- Modern build systems, CI/CD pipelines and DevOps.
- Consuming and contributing to open source codebases.
- Git and GitHub's workflow.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- 7+ years of experience building low-level and backend systems.
- Distributed systems, Actor based concurrent systems and Messaging Protocols.
- Provisioning and operating basic cloud services in AWS, Azure or Google Cloud.
- Familiarity with multiple programming languages
- This is a Senior Level (L5) role at Ockam.
- For more information about Role Levels at Ockam, <click here for our guide>.
Your Roadmap at Ockam, within 1 month, you'll:
- Learn about how Ockam’s Rust Command and Ockam Orchestrator work.
- Have 1x1s and pairing sessions with the team members that you’ll be working with closely and get to know your engineering peers.
- Do a deep dive into the code base and learn more about the inner workings of our Rust Command.
- Learn about what processes our team currently has in place and how we get work done.
- Tackle your first ticket by committing code to one of our repos.
Within 3 months, you'll:
- Gain a robust understanding of the needs of Ockam Command, Ockam API and Ockam libraries from the user's perspective
- Design, architect, and deliver your first large feature
- Guide your peers that you work with on areas of improvement on the technical side as well as the process side
- Establish strong async and sync communication rhythms with your peers and management, practicing transparency and visibility in your progress and areas of focus
- Celebrate the major win of having your work being used and valued by our users
- Solicit feedback from your peers, including other engineers and teammates in your product team, and support your team through thoughtful feedback
Within 6 months, you'll:
- Have conversations with our users and quickly understand how a feature needs to be added and lead architectural discussions for Ockam Command
- Elevate the work of the team and become a subject matter expert in an area that interests you
- Continue to contribute to our Open Source libraries and Ockam Command
- Fortify relationships with cross functional team members as well as broaden your connections across the organization
- Coach and mentor team members
Within 12 months, you'll:
- Have significant ownership, making extensive contributions to a large system that enables customers to establish trusted channels between applications.
- Drive initiatives with high-impact on the business and our customers.
- Extensively collaborate with engineering management the executive team to level up the organization and continually improve our product.
Ockam is a growing company. The above is a high-level of what we see this role will comprise of at this point in time. We’re always learning and iterating and we evolve accordingly.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying, in addition to your resume, LinkedIn, and GitHub URLs, we’d love to know more about:
1. Your Open Source history - your experience with open source projects and contributions
2. A cover letter with a short blurb about why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Ockam would be great, though not required and will not impact your application.
When we receive your application we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We hire globally and believe that the unique perspectives and contributions of all our team members is the driver of our success.
Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against anyone based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences.
If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.
Ockam is a distributed, remote-first team with a headquarters in San Francisco California.
See more open positions at Ockam
Something looks off?