Senior Engineer - Rust
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2023
Ockam enables developers to build apps that can Trust data-in-motion
We believe in Building Trust when it comes to our product and our team. We’d love for you to join us on our journey!
Ockam’s vision is to build a future where all applications can be interoperable - everywhere.
Ockam provides a collection of messaging and cryptographic protocols that provide end-to-end application layer trust in data. We believe that, in order to have a realistically manageable vulnerability surface, all modern applications need end-to-end guarantees of data integrity and authenticity. The only way to build secure and private applications is to remove unnecessary implicit trust in network boundaries, intermediaries and infrastructure.
Ockam continues to grow, but our values and virtues stay constant as our guiding lights. It is deeply important for us to maintain and enhance a culture in which everyone is respected, valued, and empowered.
About this role:
You will be responsible for designing and developing Ockam's open source Rust Library, Command Line, and Packages.
This role will require solving challenging problems in areas like library API design, type systems, protocol design, actor model, async execution, abstraction, loose coupling, pluggable modules and more. You will be part of a team of senior engineers who have deep expertise across distributed systems, messaging protocols, network protocols, cryptographic protocols, embedded systems etc.
The Ockam team is passionate about making powerful cryptographic protocols simple and safe for application developers. In this role you will collaborate with this team to deliver safe, secure, stable, well-documented, easy to use, 100% open source Rust libraries and command line.
This role involves architecture, interface design, writing code, responsibility for testing, and publishing documentation. Everyone on the Ockam team takes responsibility for their parts from end-to-end, including the creation of long term objectives, issues in GitHub, task management, and summaries of key results.
- 10+ years of work history.
- The Rust language.
- Type Systems, Generics, Futures, Async/Await, Tokio
- Library API and CLI design.
- Building components in complex code bases.
- Modern build systems, CI/CD pipelines and DevOps.
- Consuming and contributing to open source codebases.
- Git and GitHub's workflow.
- Distributed systems, Actor based concurrent systems and Messaging Protocols.
- Provisioning and operating basic cloud services in AWS, Azure or Google Cloud.
- Familiarity with multiple programming languages, including Typescript
Within 1 month, you'll:
- Gain a robust understanding of the Rust library roadmap
- Design, architect, and deliver your first large feature
- Guide your peers that you work with on areas of improvement on the technical side as well as the process side
- Establish strong async and sync communication rhythms with your peers and management, practicing transparency and visibility in your progress and areas of focus
- Celebrate the major win of having your work being used and valued by our users
- Solicit feedback from your peers, including other engineers and teammates in your product team, and support your team through thoughtful feedback
Within 3 months, you'll:
- Gain a deep understanding of the Rust and Elixir libraries and how they work together and when we add a feature, how do we want to architect it best for both libraries
- Elevate the work of the team and become a subject matter expert in an area that interests you
- Continue to contribute to our Open Source libraries and Ockam Command
- Fortify relationships with cross functional team members as well as broaden your connections across the organization
- Coach and mentor team members
Within 6 months, you'll:
- Have significant responsibilities, and make extensive contributions to a large system that enables customers to establish trusted channels between applications.
- Drive initiatives with high-impact on the business and our customers.
- Extensively collaborate with engineering management the executive team to level up the organization and continually improve our product.
Ockam is a distributed, remote-first team with a headquarters in San Francisco California.
Here are several resources to help you further evaluate Ockam: