Head of Support
For millions of teams working in dozens of industries, day-to-day business gets done on the phone. So why—despite the huge leaps we've taken in design and usability—does most business phone software still look, feel, and act like it was born in the 90s? OpenPhone is changing that.
We’re a new type of business phone with a mission to help people communicate better and be more productive.
We’re backed by Y Combinator and some of the best venture firms around including Tiger Global, Craft Ventures, Slow Ventures, and others. We take pride in providing an exceptional customer experience and a product people love, which is why we’re excited that our customers have rated us the #1 VoIP Provider on G2.
OpenPhone is the modern, sophisticated answer to the clunky, outdated phone systems that have been slowing down businesses for years. And after earning over 25,000 happy customers and $56M in funding in just four years, it's safe to say we're onto something big.
About the role
As our Head of Support, you’ll be on the forefront of delighting our customers. You’ll be responsible for hiring, coaching and developing a team of experienced support professionals in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment. You’ll oversee all aspects of Customer Support at OpenPhone including our Porting and Trust & Safety teams and collaborate closely with our Product and Engineering teams to continuously improve the overall customer experience.
Some of the things you’ll do
- Lead OpenPhone’s Support team with a strong focus on customer satisfaction, setting performance goals, providing guidance, and fostering a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Hire, develop, and grow a team of best-in-class talent around the world who share core values and common goals
- Team up with outsourcing partners where appropriate while maintaining our high bar for excellence
- Work closely with Product and Engineering teams to prioritize key product investments to reduce volume, simplify troubleshooting, and speed up resolution and analysis of issues.
- Develop and oversee Support Operations and infrastructure, scaling in a cost-effective manner while providing quality customer care and compliance with guidelines and processes.
- Work closely with the leadership team for cross-functional alignment and serve as the primary escalation point for support questions or issues while working across Sales and Success, Product Management, and Engineering to ensure successful customer outcomes.
- Work closely with the Trust & Safety Lead on developing and implementing strategies to prevent, detect, and mitigate any instances of carrier fraud and potential risks.
- You have 7+ years of experience building and managing high-performing technical support teams in a multi-channel environment, including managing managers.
- You have experience in live channel support, including chat-based and phone support.
- You’re an excellent problem solver and make sound decisions in high-pressure situations. You can analyze data, identify trends, and develop strategies to proactively address challenges and opportunities.
- You’re a leader who inspires and motivates their team, fostering a positive and inclusive work environment. You recruit, train, and develop support professionals, providing guidance and mentorship to help them succeed.
- You’re an exceptional communicator and are proficient in working with distributed teams.
- You thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced startup environment, demonstrating adaptability, resilience, and the ability to handle multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
- You’re passionate about advocating for customers' needs and interests while balancing business requirements. You prioritize customer satisfaction, empathize with customer concerns, and drive initiatives to enhance the overall customer experience.
- Ideally, you have previous B2B SaaS experience, too.
As a fully remote company, we thrive asynchronously as a team. We are curious, ambitious, and dedicated to our work. We value trust above all else, and have a strong bias for action. If you're looking for a place to do your life's work, please get in touch. We'd love to hear from you.
And remember, there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. We're looking for optimists with grit and determination, who are excited to face the challenges of a growing startup. OpenPhone is the type of company where you can grow, and we encourage you to apply for this role even if you don't think you meet all the requirements.
We are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse work environment. It is important that you are able to bring your authentic self to work every day. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.