Principal Engineer (Remote)
Posted on Thursday, March 23, 2023
Plume is a mission-driven, trans-founded company focused on radically increasing access to healthcare for the transgender and gender-nonconforming communities. Our vision is to transform healthcare for every trans life and build a virtual care home for the trans community.
As a rapidly expanding organization, we are now proudly available to more than 1 million transgender individuals in 45 states. We are an organization formed through the lived experience of trans people and fierce allies, and we welcome other heart-forward, talented individuals to join our team on this journey.
We Are Authentic: We opt for honest and direct conversations. We strive to be vulnerable and connect authentically.
We Are Accountable: We follow up and commit to each other within the community and to ourselves.
We Are Growth-Oriented: We take the initiative, we’re proactive learners, and we tackle new challenges.
We Are Inclusive: We’re considerate of working across diverse experiences. Every voice is valuable in serving our vision. We have an unusual bias for seeking input.
We Are Collaborative: We put “we” before I, we stay engaged and communicative when we disagree, and we can commit even if we’re not in complete agreement.
We Are Trans-Informed: We ask “why?” and distrust the status quo. We honor awkwardness & experimentation over polish and how things have always been done.
If our mission & values align with your own, you’re a Principal Engineer with experience scaling fast-paced healthtech startups, and you have a particular affinity for the trans experience, read on!
Principal Engineer Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership to the engineering team: defining & documenting coding guidelines, best practices, design patterns, and high-level platform architecture
- Design and develop complex software applications in technologies such as AWS, GoLang, Python, Node.js, and DevOps/Deployment (Kubernetes/Tilt)
- Mentor engineers across multiple agile scrum teams within the department, providing training, feedback, and guidance to help them mature in their skill sets
- Assist in defining SLAs that track the performance, reliability, and availability of our platform services, and also implement systems that monitor and report on these metrics
- Review and provide feedback on project implementation plans as generated by scrum team engineering development leads
- Develop strategies for improving the security, scalability, maintainability, and performance of applications
- Collaborate with other teams, such as product, design, clinical, and operations to identify opportunities to improve and define objectives and to build and launch new products
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends and best practices, including with the latest developments in software engineering and technologies - leverage that knowledge to identify gaps between best practice and Plume’s current state and build a roadmap with milestones to bridge those gaps
- Review the code of fellow engineers on the pod over which you are functioning as dev lead and provide feedback
- Collaborate with your assigned pod’s Product Manager to break down PRD/SoWs into implementation plans with discrete milestones and associated timelines
Individual Contributor Responsibilities:
- Be responsible for the implementation of individual tickets such that they satisfy acceptance criteria as defined by Product Managers
- Ensure quality control of software applications by creating and executing software tests and reviewing code for accuracy and optimization
- Communicate effectively with team members and leadership regarding delivery timelines, blockers being encountered, project concerns/feedback, etc.
- Mission alignment and commitment to diversity
- 10+ years of Engineering experience with significant experience building software end-to-end, including expert-level proficiency in AWS (lambda, sqs, sns), GoLang, Python, Node.js, Dev Ops, Deployment, event-driven architecture, etc.
- 5+ years of Architecture experience (8+ preferred)
- While acting as a principal engineer, you have guided/led 3+ teams of engineers at a time, with at least 5 folks per team (preferably much larger teams of up to 40+ engineers)
- 3+ years of experience managing several offshore engineering teams simultaneously (preferably 5+ years of experience in this area)
- Startup experience where you have overseen significant growth and scaling of a team rapidly
Compensation & Benefits:
- $170,000 Annual Salary
- Ground-Floor Equity
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k)
- Free Plume and Mental Health Subscriptions
Plume is an equal opportunity employer. Trans and gender-nonconforming individuals are strongly encouraged to apply, particularly those who identify as people of color. We positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, color, disability, national origin, ancestry, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Read more about Plume at www.getplume.co
See more open positions at Plume
Something looks off?