Vice President of Product & Technology (Remote)
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2023
Plume is a mission-driven, trans-founded company focused on radically increasing access to healthcare for the transgender and gender-nonconforming communities. Our vision is to transform healthcare for every trans life and build a virtual care home for the trans community.
As a rapidly expanding organization, we are now proudly available to more than 1 million transgender individuals in 45 states. We are an organization formed through the lived experience of trans people and fierce allies, and we welcome other heart-forward, talented individuals to join our team on this journey.
We Are Authentic: We opt for honest and direct conversations. We strive to be vulnerable and connect authentically.
We Are Accountable: We follow up and commit to each other within the community and to ourselves.
We Are Growth-Oriented: We take the initiative, we’re proactive learners, and we tackle new challenges.
We Are Inclusive: We’re considerate of working across diverse experiences. Every voice is valuable in serving our vision. We have an unusual bias for seeking input.
We Are Collaborative: We put “we” before I, we stay engaged and communicative when we disagree, and we can commit even if we’re not in complete agreement.
We Are Trans-Informed: We ask “why?” and distrust the status quo. We honor awkwardness & experimentation over polish and how things have always been done.
If our mission and values speak to you, you're an experienced Digital Healthcare / HealthTech Product & Tech Leader with an Engineering Background, and you have a deep understanding of the trans experience, we can't wait to meet you!
About The Role:
Reporting directly to the COO and working very closely with the CEO and other leaders, you are a pivotal member of our executive leadership team. Your role will involve leading our engineering, data, and product teams. With your technical expertise, engineering and PM experience, healthcare industry knowledge, and leadership skills, you will work towards achieving our mission-critical goals, including enhancing health outcomes for our patients and delivering effective solutions for our internal stakeholders.
You’ll be at the forefront of driving our technical strategy and data architecture, consistently ensuring alignment with our mission and values. You’ll take ownership of our product strategy, driving its evolution at each stage, from feature development to potential retirement.
In this pivotal role, you'll have the opportunity to use your strategic acumen and leadership skills to create and maintain a high-performance, accountable, and collaborative culture within our organization. This isn't just about making key decisions - it's about setting the stage for success at every level of our organization.
At Plume, you'll find more than just a job. You'll find a place where your skills, expertise, and passion for the trans experience and healthcare innovation can have a meaningful and lasting impact. We look forward to welcoming you on this journey.
- Quickly perform an assessment of product, engineering, and data teams and establish clear recommendations for team structure, management strategy, and hiring needs, developing JDs and effectively hiring key roles to fill skill gaps, including operational offshore strategy
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to develop and articulate a product vision and 12+ month roadmap, ensuring clarity on dates, accurate estimations of timelines/deliverables, and updating/monitoring the roadmap to ensure teams regularly execute on these deliverables
- Work closely with the head of data to formulate a comprehensive strategy for data architecture and governance, maintaining a detailed document that outlines our entire technical stack, which includes aspects like data warehouse, business intelligence data, and data readiness. Guide the data team and oversee the execution of data strategy and architecture, with an aim to reduce future data debt and empower cross-functional teams to leverage data effectively in their decision-making processes, emphasizing the role of team leaders as key stakeholders
- Make buy vs build decisions for key aspects of our functionality and oversee diligence processes for vendors
- Develop a deep understanding of our business model and key drivers of success, including creating a structured rubric for prioritizing product initiatives
- Build and iterate on engaging B2B, B2B2C, and B2C products and user experiences, emphasizing telehealth/digital health platforms, data needs, and diversity and inclusion. You are driven by market data, customer feedback, in-app data, strategy, personal expertise, ensuring a sustainable and flourishing product and technology ecosystem
- Manage and cultivate product, engineering, design, and data teams to consistently deliver best-in-class user experiences for customers, payers, and team members, while driving enhancements in throughput and capacity with a hands-on approach.
- Negotiate and enforce SLAs with our technical vendors (both SaaS platforms and offshore technical teams), and change vendors if needed
- Stay up to date and act as a thought leader and strategist on the evolving telehealth/digital healthcare market landscape, ensuring Plume persistently delivers dependable and relatable product experiences
- Oversee platform migrations, ensure compliance with SOC-2 and HIPAA requirements, and empower cross-functional stakeholders to act on the information they need for organizational outcomes
- Collaborate with marketing, compliance, and other teams to oversee the product lifecycle, from ideation and vision stages to planning, delivery, and implementation, ensuring unwavering stewardship of the user experience
- Serve as the primary liaison with the board of directors, providing regular updates and insights on product vision, strategy, and progress. Craft assets to articulate the product vision and roadmap to the broader company while establishing clear strategies, OKRs, and plans
- Ensure the establishment and maintenance of cohesive team structures and foster a collaborative and efficient work environment. Make timely and challenging decisions and establishing cohesive team structures and well-documented systems of work
- Harmonize key outcomes of all stakeholders and make judicious technical investments that weigh the pace of go-to-market, technical debt, and key business performance indicators
- Due to the nature of startups, this role is expected to be dynamic and may evolve to encompass additional duties and ad hoc projects as needed
- Plume’s mission and values are embedded in every aspect of our work, so having a passion for ensuring a dignified, reliable, and relatable healthcare experience for all transgender, nonbinary, or other systematically oppressed community members is a must - preferably with experience designing innovative & life-changing longitudinal healthcare solutions reaching the historically underserved
- A reputation as a senior thought leader in digital healthcare enablement is preferred, as well as staying up to date with the evolving telehealth/digital healthcare market landscape
- Ability to solve complex problems for multiple internal and external stakeholders within a multi-faceted healthcare marketplace, e.g., patients, payers, physicians, department leaders, and healthcare providers
- Comfort working in a fast-paced and rapidly changing startup environment, with the adaptability to take on additional duties and ad hoc projects as needed as well as negotiating and enforcing SLAs with technical vendors
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, with proven experience in persuasion, leadership, and management in a relationship-focused virtual environment
- 10+ years of experience in engineering and product leadership roles, including at the VP level, with 2+ instances of successfully bringing to market mobile healthcare and/or telehealth offerings optimized for the experience of the patients, providers, payers, and care coordinators
- 5+ years of experience in the healthcare sector, specifically dealing with payers. This experience should encompass areas such as product development, compliance procedures, and data management
- Experience with varying patient-base growth strategies, including scaling to 100,000+ users, and managing platform migrations while ensuring compliance with SOC-2 and HIPAA requirements
- Experience building and implementing B2B, B2B2C, and B2C products, and in managing and cultivating product, engineering, design, and data teams to consistently deliver best-in-class user experiences
- Exceptional project management, problem-solving, and analytical skills, with the ability to innovate within and outside of the team through frequently experimenting and iterating with a familiarity of agile and iterative development, backed by quantitative and qualitative research
- A deep understanding of data architecture and governance, with experience in data warehousing, BI data, and ensuring data readiness for payer/clinical needs, as well as experience, developing and maintaining product roadmaps and comprehensive data strategies, and overseeing their execution
- Comfortable serving as the primary liaison with the board of directors, providing regular updates and insights on product vision, strategy, and progress
- A demonstrated ability in recruiting, hiring, and developing best-in-class teams and balancing internal leaders' development with external thought leadership.
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field is required, with a master's degree preferred - or comparable work experience
- Successful experience in product management and implementation within the digital healthcare industry is necessary, with 7+ years of leading engineering and/or product development teams (preferably within a healthcare startup), and at least 2 years in telehealth
- Ability to collaborate with marketing, compliance, and other teams to oversee the product lifecycle, from ideation and vision stages to planning, delivery, and implementation. Demonstrated experience in empowering organizational leaders to reach their objectives while simultaneously designing and delivering engaging patient-centered healthcare experiences
- A demonstrated ability to make judicious technical investments that weigh the pace of go-to-market, technical debt, KPIs, and OKRs
Compensation & Benefits:
- $200-220k Annual Salary DOE
- Ground-Floor Equity
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k)
- Free Plume and Mental Health Subscriptions
Plume is an equal-opportunity employer. Trans and gender-nonconforming individuals are strongly encouraged to apply, particularly those who identify as people of color. We positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, color, disability, national origin, ancestry, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. We will provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities upon request. Please let us know if you require any accommodations to apply or interview for this position.
Discover more about Plume at www.getplume.co and become part of our award-winning journey towards transforming healthcare for every trans life. Join us today in shaping the future of healthtech and LGBTQ+ care!
See more open positions at Plume
Something looks off?