Staff Ruby Engineer
We want our customers – both small and large – to be able to collaborate without the burden of complex access management. To that end, our biggest challenge right now is to design and deploy a centralized authorization system that offers flexibility for the largest of enterprises, while keeping the access management as simple and straightforward as possible.
This is no small task and we will need you to put your data modeling and system design hat on.
For those looking for an exciting and complex tech initiative, with impact across the entire Productboard platform, here’s your chance. Help us shape the target AuthZ platform, and then manage the complex migration away from the legacy one.
On a typical day, you will
Have time to focus
- A good couple of hours to work on weekly goals as well as one of our two big customer-facing initiatives:
- We try to push our code at least on a daily basis
- Capability access via custom roles
- Content access at various levels of granularity
- You’ll also contribute to the evolution of our internal AaaS (Authorization as a Service). The focus is on great developer experience in order to boost its adoption by other teams
Collaborate on common goals
- Support your colleagues with peer reviews (on concepts or code) at least once per day
- Stay open to ad-hoc collaborative sessions with the team (discovery, pair solution design, pair programming, pair review, etc) – usually in the afternoon
- Act as an AuthN/AuthZ expert and, when needed, offer your expertise both internally & externally
- Coach other engineers, join cross-team system design discussions, and contribute to help us reach the best decisions possible
- Answer permissions-related technical questions, join customer discovery calls, debug complex customer issues
- Proactively communicate in an asynchronous way about your progress, blockers and achievements
- Proficient in Ruby
- Kotlin knowledge or willingness to learn – we use it on the backend
- Product Engineer – you develop solutions with the end-customer in mind
- Very good communication skills – you are able to easily collaborate across teams
- Experience with distributed systems
- Experience with complex data models
- AuthN/AuthZ experience is a plus
- Experience with Kafka or similar is a plus
- DevX experience is a plus – building solutions that will be used by other engineers
- You care about the performance and reliability of the systems you build
Our Tech Stack
- Frontend: TypeScript, React.js
- Backend: TypeScript/Node.js, Ruby, Kotlin, Kafka
- Storage: Postgres, Elastic, Redis
- Data Pipeline: Python, Keboola, Looker, Snowflake
- Infrastructure: AWS, Kubernetes, Terraform
You can look forward to the following benefits:
💻MacBook Pro + 34″ monitor
📚Budget for online courses, books, and conferences
🏝5 weeks of vacation and sick days
🍲Free snacks, drinks, and yummy catered lunches every day
🏋MultiSport card to access sports facilities in Prague
🍹Team events, such as happy hours, off-sites, and retreats
⏱Flexible working hours and home office
Productboard is a customer-centric product management platform that helps organizations get the right products to market, faster. More than 5,400 companies, including Microsoft, Zoom, 1-800-Contacts, and UiPath, use Productboard to understand what users need, prioritize what to build next, and rally everyone around their roadmap.
With offices in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Brno and Prague, Productboard is backed by leading investors like Tiger Global Management, Dragoneer Investment Group, Index Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Sequoia Capital, Bessemer Venture Partners, and Credo Ventures.
In January 2022, we closed our $125M Series D round, which put us into the Unicorn category of companies, with a valuation of $1.7B.
- Join at the golden startup age — established stability of a Unicorn with space for individual impact
- You’ll enjoy an exciting team atmosphere, building a whole new category of software
- You can help change the way that products are built all over the world
- We iterate quickly and decisions are fast. You’ll have a voice in what we do and see the impact of your work
- We are backed by top Silicon Valley investors, giving us access to capital, networks, mentors, and new markets
- We are recognized as one of the hottest tech startups on the market today, named by Forbes magazine and Business Insider as one of the best startup employers to bet your career on and are regularly recognized for our company culture
About our culture
Imagine working in a place where everything matters — most importantly, you. At Productboard, values aren’t just something we like to talk about, they’re something we live and breathe. We believe in creating a work environment where:
- People feel empowered, supported, and included
- Trust and transparency are built into the way we work
- Creativity, curiosity, and continuous improvement are encouraged and nurtured every day
Forming our company values was a group effort, with every employee allowed to contribute. From profit-sharing initiatives, like stock options, to open calendars and communication, we don’t waste time on politics or ego. We champion openness by sharing our goals, success, and failures.
Join colleagues who love what they do and who are invested in their work environment and the future of the company. Help shape our company, culture, and product!
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and champion equity. It is our aim to help people from all backgrounds, cultures, and groups realize their full potential at Productboard. We do not tolerate any discrimination or harassment based upon gender identity, race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other biascovered by appropriate law. All aspects of employment, including hiring, training, promotion, and terminations, are based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We are committed to an inclusive hiring process and provide all candidates with equal opportunity to demonstrate their abilities. Togetherness is one of our core values, and our Diversity Council helps to ensure that we uphold the values of authenticity, humanity, and diversity to create an environment where every person matters. We are committed to leading by example to drive societal change.