Principal Backend Engineer
When we started in 2014, our focus was on product managers in smaller teams who lacked a great product management tool. Today, we are the leading product management platform, and as we continue to grow, we are now helping more and more enterprise companies with thousands of employees to build products that matter.
We believe Productboard's greatest differentiator is enabling our customers to collect, understand, and act upon data from the market and empower them to organize them into Insights, understand their customers, and align their company around the most impactful opportunities.
We are in search of an experienced Staff+ Engineer. You will have the chance to drive some of the big decisions and foundational platforms that help our whole engineering organization thrive, while remaining as fast, agile, and reliable as ever.
About the team
AI & Insights is a cross-functional product team, composed of backend, frontend, machine learning engineers with PMs and designers. We are all building the Insights - think of it as a customer’s store of feedback coming from different sources. It is tightly integrated with other entities inside the product.
In June, we unveiled Productboard AI, and we’ll continue to expand our AI functionality in the coming months. We aim to build more automation into Insights, enabling bulk-processing, pre-processing, smart suggestions and other features. In the end, our customers would be presented with aggregated insights & clustered data, which is connected to the features & ideas they plan to build.
Where are we heading?
To create even more value for customers, we are on a mission to help product teams transform their product management practices, leveraging the power of AI to make impactful product decisions faster through a deeper understanding of different types of data within the Productboard platform (customer feedback, competitors, market intelligence, business strategy, etc.)
We also aim to make product teams more effective on tactical and strategic tasks throughout the entire product management lifecycle with AI-powered workflows that augment existing core workflows within Productboard.
Our core challenges:
- Introducing new capabilities into our solutions – a feature store, faster processing of incoming Insights data (which is expected to grow), live predictions, co-usage of different vendor LLMs, etc.
- Ensuring data flows from the frontend via GraphQL – asynchronous processing through Kafka in different services, and back to frontend – produce a seamless UX experience.
- Ensuring our core services, which store data from different sources, are ready to scale and meet performance requirements.
- Reducing the tech stack. We are converging towards Kotlin services, and to achieve that we have to plan and execute migrations from our backend Ruby monolith and a couple other services, previously written in node.js. These migrations will have a wide impact on other product teams and product functionality, and will lay the foundation for the future of our owned domains.
We’re looking for experienced engineering minds, who are able to not only lead big technical projects, but act as knowledge multipliers inside and outside of the team. Those who strive to build top-end services and are able to turn a good system design on paper into a well-tuned working solution.
On a typical day, you will
- Define and communicate (sync & async) pillar-level technical strategy
- Propose sequencing and execution plan for key technical initiatives
- Coach other engineers, join cross-team system design discussions, and contribute to help us reach the best decisions possible
- Stay open to ad-hoc collaborative sessions with the team (discovery, pair solution design, pair programming, pair review, etc.)
- Work as part of a product team on team’s delivery goals
Our tech stack
We work with the following frameworks, tools, and languages:
- Backend: Kotlin, Ruby, Kafka
- Frontend: TypeScript, React.js
- Storage: Postgres, Elastic, Redis
- Infrastructure: AWS, Kubernetes, Terraform
- Data Pipeline: Python, Looker
- Have BE coding proficiency in one of the following languages: Java, Kotlin, or C#
- Understanding FE concepts from a high-level perspective is sufficient
- A good understanding of relational databases, and any no-SQL is an advantage
- Experience designing and leading complex architecture changes in larger organisations
- Experience with distributed systems on an advanced level
- Ideally, experience managing the transition from an old (likely monolithic architecture) to microservices
- Strong communication skills - explaining technical investments to a non-tech audience should be expected
- Strong product mindset
- Able to make pragmatic technical decisions using business context
- B2B SaaS company experience is an advantage
You can look forward to the following benefits:
💰 Stock options
💻 MacBook + 34″ monitor
📚 Budget for online courses, books, and conferences
🏝 5 weeks of vacation + sick days
❤️ 1 Volunteer Day per year for you to help causes close to your heart
🍲 Free snacks, drinks, yummy catered lunches every day in the office
💚 Shared Headspace account for mindfulness & mental health
🏋 MultiSport card to access sports facilities
🍹 Team events, such as happy hours, off-sites, and retreats
🍀 Mental Wellness Program to support your well-being and self-care
⏱ Flexible working hours and home office
🧒🏻 Parental benefits
🎓 Language lessons
Productboard is a customer-centric product management platform that helps organizations get the right products to market, faster. More than 5,400 companies, including Microsoft, Zoom, 1-800-Contacts, and UiPath, use Productboard to understand what users need, prioritize what to build next, and rally everyone around their roadmap.
With offices in San Francisco, Vancouver, Dublin, Brno and Prague, Productboard is backed by leading investors like Tiger Global Management, Dragoneer Investment Group, Index Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Sequoia Capital, Bessemer Venture Partners, and Credo Ventures.
In January 2022, we closed our $125M Series D round, which put us into the Unicorn category of companies, with a valuation of $1.7B.
- Join at the golden startup age — established stability of a Unicorn with space for individual impact
- You’ll enjoy an exciting team atmosphere, building a whole new category of software
- You can help change the way that products are built all over the world
- We iterate quickly and decisions are fast. You’ll have a voice in what we do and see the impact of your work
- We are backed by top Silicon Valley investors, giving us access to capital, networks, mentors, and new markets
- We are recognized as one of the hottest tech startups on the market today, named by Forbes magazine and Business Insider as one of the best startup employers to bet your career on and are regularly recognized for our company culture
About our culture
Imagine working in a place where everything matters — most importantly, you. At Productboard, values aren’t just something we like to talk about, they’re something we live and breathe. We believe in creating a work environment where:
- People feel empowered, supported, and included
- Trust and transparency are built into the way we work
- Creativity, curiosity, and continuous improvement are encouraged and nurtured every day
Forming our company values was a group effort, with every employee allowed to contribute. From profit-sharing initiatives, like stock options, to open calendars and communication, we don’t waste time on politics or ego. We champion openness by sharing our goals, success, and failures.
Join colleagues who love what they do and who are invested in their work environment and the future of the company. Help shape our company, culture, and product!
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and champion equity. It is our aim to help people from all backgrounds, cultures, and groups realize their full potential at Productboard. We do not tolerate any discrimination or harassment based upon gender identity, race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other biascovered by appropriate law. All aspects of employment, including hiring, training, promotion, and terminations, are based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We are committed to an inclusive hiring process and provide all candidates with equal opportunity to demonstrate their abilities. Togetherness is one of our core values, and our Diversity Council helps to ensure that we uphold the values of authenticity, humanity, and diversity to create an environment where every person matters. We are committed to leading by example to drive societal change.