Senior Software Engineer (Online Storage)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm proudly includes Returnly.
At Affirm, data is fundamental to everything we do. Our data and storage solutions empower machine learning, artificial intelligence, cloud-based technologies, and other modern tools to create differential and scalable products. We prioritize building our own technology and investing in engineering talent, as we believe these are enduring competitive advantages that are difficult to replicate. Our expertise in sourcing, aggregating, protecting, and analyzing data has been what we believe to be a core competitive advantage of our platform since our founding. We use data to inform our analysis and decision-making, including risk assessment, in a way that empowers consumers and generates value for our merchants and funding sources.
Our mission is to provide trustworthy, intuitive, and cost-efficient solutions to secure, store, analyze, and transform data at exceptional scale.
We are looking for a highly motivated Engineering Manager with a track record of leading and growing high-performing engineering teams. The Online Storage team provides a set of managed databases as a platform, used to persist data for all Affirm services. Our platform automates operations and development on services on top of storage systems like AWS Aurora (MySQL), DynamoDB, and S3. As a team, we are responsible for various data and access patterns, including but not limited to mission-critical financial transactional data, data science models, and any new persistence use case requiring us to learn and gain deep expertise in various database systems.
Affirm is growing fast and we want you to enable us to scale our products to 10x and beyond through building world-class systems which enable Affirm in its mission to provide honest financial products which improve lives.
We are only just getting started! Come join us as we build a beloved, lasting financial services brand predicated on honesty and trust. It’s going to be an amazing ride!
As a member of the Online Storage team, you will combine a strong understanding of application architecture, smooth developer experiences and fast-paced execution to deliver a powerful self-serve system to help Affirm scale easily. This will need you to apply a customer-centric approach across the engineering organization to help the team craft and execute on a long-term roadmap.
What you’ll do
As a member of the Online Storage team, you will collaborate with other teams - including product, infrastructure, and site reliability engineering(SRE) to:
- Working with engineers managing Affirm’s distributed database technologies, including MySQL and DynamoDB
- Leading projects towards improving our database architecture, focusing on scalability, reliability, performance, and cost efficiency
- Work closely with product teams to understand business requirements and translate them into robust database solutions.
- Develop and enforce best practices in database design, ensuring data integrity, security, and optimal performance.
- Stay abreast of industry trends and emerging technologies in transactional databases to continually enhance our systems and processes.
- Participating in an on-call rotation and collaborating with other teams, such as SRE, to solve production issues
What we look for
- BS degree in Computer Science with 3-5+ years of experience as a software engineer with leadership exposure and experience mentoring junior engineers
- In-depth, hands-on experience with large-scale database deployments in a production environment
- Expertise in distributed databases and database technologies such as MySQL (Preferred), Postgres Oracle database, SQL Server, etc
- Familiarity with connection poolers and proxies such as ProxySQL, RDS Proxy Pg Bouncer, etc
- Solid understanding of distributed database architecture, data modeling, and performance tuning
- Experienced knowledge of a dynamically typed language -- we primarily use Python and Kotlin, but members of our team have backgrounds in a wide range of technologies
- Familiarity with AWS and Kubernetes.
- Experience building software with IaC (Infrastructure as Code) frameworks and tools
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to engage effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
What you’ll learn
Join us as we build a beloved, lasting financial services company predicated on honesty and trust. In this role, you’ll understand the exciting challenges of helping a fast-growing company move towards a service-oriented architecture - diving into the scaling and availability challenges of infrastructural components that are the fundamental building blocks of a large scale system. You’ll hone your ability to anticipate and recognize how to apply different technologies to solve a wide array of real world problems across the organization - all while building teams and working cross functionally with hardworking peers.
Pay Grade - CAN 30
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of employment. Affirmers in proximal roles have the flexibility to work remotely, but will occasionally be required to work out of their assigned Affirm office. A limited number of roles remain office-based due to the nature of their job responsibilities.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
[For U.S. positions that could be performed in Los Angeles or San Francisco] Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, Affirm will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.