Software Engineer, Backend (Credit Engineering)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Join the Credit Engineering team and partner with Product and Credit Risk to solve complex challenges on how to protect consumers from overextending themselves while enabling Affirm to be where consumers need us most. As part of the team, you will focus on designing and implementing new features in our underwriting platform to support our partnered merchants and our users across a wide number of interfaces, including Affirm Card, ecommerce sites, and the app. You will have a direct impact on the performance of Affirm as we look to continue to grow and expand the reach out of Affirm loans in a safe and responsible way for our customers!
What You'll Do
- Design and build new features for our credit underwriting platform
- Work with product managers and credit risk analysts to influence the strategy and delivery of the underwriting platform and its capabilities
- Work with technical leaders in the team to design and implement insightful, forward-looking approaches that go beyond the direct team and solve large open-ended problems
- Actively contribute to components of our underwriting system while also improving the health of surrounding systems
- Collaborate with engineers within our team and across the organization to build the next generation of the financial products
- Learn and improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes across the platform
What We Look For
- 1-3 years of software engineering experience
- Eagerness to learn new things and the curiosity to understand the unknown
- Familiarity with Python, AWS, Java/Kotlin, MySQL, Github is a plus
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Empathy to help support our partners and teammates
- Prior experience building, launching and maintaining consumer scale products
- Strong cross-team communication and collaboration skills
- Experience scaling systems in a service oriented architecture preferred but not required
Pay Grade - USA 29
Employees new to Affirm or promoted into a new role, typically begin in the min to mid range.
USA base pay range (CA, WA, NY, NJ, CT) per year:
USA base pay range (all other U.S. states) per year:
Location: Remote - US
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and you can work almost anywhere within the country of employment. Affirmers in proximal roles have the flexibility to work remotely, but will occasionally be required to work out of their assigned Affirm office. A limited number of roles remain office-based due to the nature of their job responsibilities.
We’re extremely proud to offer competitive benefits that are anchored to our core value of people come first. Some key highlights of our benefits package include:
- Health care coverage - Affirm covers all premiums for all levels of coverage for you and your dependents
- Flexible Spending Wallets - generous stipends for spending on Technology, Food, various Lifestyle needs, and family forming expenses
- Time off - competitive vacation and holiday schedules allowing you to take time off to rest and recharge
- ESPP - An employee stock purchase plan enabling you to buy shares of Affirm at a discount
We believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
[For U.S. positions that could be performed in Los Angeles or San Francisco] Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, Affirm will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.