Senior Character Artist
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2023
Who We Are
We’re Sandbox VR, and we’re the most advanced virtual reality experience in the world. Our mission is to bring people closer together through world-class immersive experiences. With our Hollywood motion capture cameras, 3D body trackers, and haptic suits, we’re operating the next generation of cinemas - where our guests are the stars of their own movies. Venturing into space? You got it. Channeling your inner pirate? Absolutely. Need to get some steps but hate the gym? Our experiences definitely get our guests moving.
Since we launched in Hong Kong in 2017, we’re now live in 34 locations and 7 countries around the world. (We’re the #1 Activity in Hong Kong and Singapore on TripAdvisor, and are averaging 4.8/5 stars on our Google reviews across all US locations). Oh, did we mention we're rapidly expanding? We want you to be a part of our journey and help us build this new world!
Sandbox VR is seeking a talented and experienced Senior Character Artist to join our art team. The ideal candidate will have a passion for creating visually stunning and engaging characters in virtual reality experiences. As a Senior Character Artist, you will be responsible for overseeing the creation of high-quality character models and textures, and ensuring that they meet the technical and artistic standards of the game.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Create high-quality 3D character models and textures that are optimized for use in virtual reality experiences
- Work collaboratively with the art team and game designers to ensure that character designs are consistent with the game's visual style and narrative
- Develop and maintain the character art pipeline, including tools, workflows, and documentation
- Mentor and provide guidance to junior character artists, and help them improve their skills
- Work closely with technical artists and engineers to ensure that character models are optimized for performance and can be easily integrated into the Unity game engine
- Stay up-to-date with the latest industry trends and technologies in character art, and apply them to improve the quality and efficiency of our character creation process
What We're Looking For:
- Jaw-Dropping Portfolio: You have used your considerable experience in creating high quality Characters and can prove that by sharing your portfolio of personal and professional work. Ideally your portfolio will show consistently high quality examples of your work across a variety of different art styles.
- Experienced: You have a minimum of 5+ years working with VR or non-VR Video games. You have a degree or certification in 3D art, digital art, a related discipline, or equivalent demonstrated experience and knowledge. Ideally you have shipped at least one commercial video game for PC or Console.
- Technically Proficient: You are experienced in using MAYA (or similar 3D asset creation tools). You have a strong understanding of working with the Unity game engine, ideally within the HDRP render pipeline. You also have significant experience working with Photoshop, Character Creator, Zbrush, Substance Painter.
- Always Learning: You will be responsible for keeping up with the latest Unity features and plugins, to make sure your projects look incredible. A strong personal interest in video game technology, and you understand industry trends and upcoming innovations. VR is an exciting new medium for you, you are passionate about the possibilities of the technology, and you’re eager to use your skills to push this industry forward.
Sandbox VR is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
See more open positions at Sandbox VR
Something looks off?