Lead Game Designer
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2021
Who We Are
We’re Sandbox VR, the most advanced virtual reality experience in the world. Our mission is to bring people closer together through world-class immersive experiences. When guests step into one of our stores, our full-body motion tracking gear and Hollywood motion capture cameras make them the stars of their own movies. Groups freely roam our large-open “holodecks” together, relying on each other to succeed in social experiences. Whether it’s venturing into space, battling on the high seas, or surviving a zombie apocalypse, our experiences take our guests on a journey they won’t forget!
Since launching in 2017, we’ve become the location-based VR industry leader. As we continue to expand globally, there’s never been a better time to join the Sandbox VR team. We take pride in the relationships we are building within our communities by providing world-class experiences for our guests and our employees. Here, we value humility and have built a collaborative environment, ensuring that our guests, and our teammates all win collectively. If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love you to join us, as we build the future of entertainment.
About the Job:
Sandbox VR is constantly looking for new ways to amaze our guests and immerse them in thrilling, one-of-a-kind VR experiences. As a Lead Designer at Sandbox VR, you’ll be responsible for using your strong design background, superb creative taste, and incredible attention to detail to ensure each moment of our VR experience is of the highest quality.
This role gives you many avenues with which to express your creativity and skills. At Sandbox VR, you will have the chance to innovate, invent new VR gameplay mechanics, write compelling narratives, and build memorable worlds that our guests will talk about for days and days after their visit.
- Game Design – You’ll work closely with the Creative Director to plan out each moment of our VR Experiences and lend your design skills to solving difficult design problems. You’ll invent fun and highly intuitive gameplay mechanics which our guests can learn quickly and enjoy. You will use your expertly-tuned design sensibilities to adjust balance and pacing of each experience as needed. At the end of the day, you know what ‘good’ looks like, and you’ll strive to ensure each experience meets your own high professional standards.
- Narrative & Writing – You will use your creativity to develop interesting characters and narratives for our VR experiences. You’ll have a chance to innovate in the narrative space and develop the best ways to tell stories within VR. You will use your writing skills to create memorable and interesting dialogue which is not overly verbose or self-indulgent.
- Level Design – You will also use your background in level design to create exciting and compelling level designs for each location within our experiences. You will use tools to implement your whitebox designs into each game. You will work to thoroughly test and iterate upon your whitebox designs before they go into the art production pipeline. Finally, you’ll work with the environment art team during each step of the process and collaborate to ensure each location is visually engaging and thrilling for gameplay.
- Versatile Design Background – You have multiple shipped titles which you were a Senior or Lead Designer on, including at least one VR title which is either a high-quality indie VR game or a AAA VR game. You have at least 5+ years of experience in designing games. During your career your responsibilities should have included a variety of level design, game design, mission design, and writing responsibilities.
- Communication – You are a superb communicator and understand how to keep stakeholders informed when decisions affect other departments. You are extremely clear when communicating your ideas and designs to fellow team members so that everyone understands the design intent and the tasks they need to do to achieve a great result. Finally, you are also good at pitching your ideas and are very open to constructive criticism and feedback.
- Prototyping – You work well with programmers and artists in order to create strong prototypes that prove design ideas so that features can enter production with confidence.
- Documentation – You can create strong design documentation, including both detailed written documentation and compelling visual documentation (depending on your audience).
- Analytical Skills – You have a strong understanding of how to interpret player data and make informed design decisions about how to improve projects post-release. You have experience balancing games.
- Technically Proficient – You’ve used numerous proprietary and third-party tools during your career including: Unity, Unreal Editor, or equivalent. You are comfortable with visual scripting tools and ideally you can script using C#.
- Combat Design Experience – You have been the primary combat designer for at least one title in your experience.
- You play screen-based games and VR games... A lot! – You constantly keep yourself up to date by playing some of the world’s best screen-based and VR games. As you play games, you constantly evaluate them and think about why certain design decisions were made and how tweaking these decisions could affect the user experience.
Sandbox VR is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.