Senior Software Engineer - Backend
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, December 6, 2023
WHAT WE DO
At Shef, we are building a homemade food marketplace. We believe in providing the shefs in our community (refugees, immigrants, stay-at-home parents, retirees and out-of-work restaurant chefs) the opportunity to make a meaningful income by doing what they love! We also believe that every person should have access to a wholesome, home-cooked meal at an affordable price. Building a community devoted to economic empowerment and cultural inclusivity -- that's why we started Shef.
We are committed to reimagining home cooking around the country to empower everyone to make meaningful incomes by feeding their neighbor and have raised over $100m from investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, Craft Ventures, and M13, as well as founders and executives from Instacart, TaskRabbit, StubHub, AngelList, Lyft, Airbnb, and Yelp. We have a ton of exciting work ahead of us and are excited to have you join us!
As a senior software engineer you will be responsible for building delightful experiences for consumers and chefs across the country. You will optimize the shopping experience for our consumers and build out micro-entrepreneurship tools for our shefs to run their own businesses. As our most senior backend engineer, you will lead the team in system design - helping to balance decision making between moving fast and building for scale. If we succeed, you will have fundamentally changed how people purchase food and the variety of healthy, affordable, and authentic food that they have access to. This role reports directly to the company’s engineering leader and provides a unique opportunity to significantly impact an exciting consumer product. This is a hybrid job located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Local candidates only.
- Build new features that delight our consumers and help our Shefs grow their own businesses
- Mentoring the engineering function for Shef in (1) database design (2) identifying, preventing, and resolving scalability challenges (3) build and manage our full-stack infrastructure.
- Run at problems with a strong bias for throughput and execution
- Monitor, analyze, and iterate on features
- Use analytics to identify areas of impact and new product ideas
- Think like a Product Manager - Discovering insights, opportunities, and requirements for new features
- 5+ years of relevant work experience Experience with backend systems - relational databases, AWS, Node, and GraphQL experience strongly preferred
- Highly motivated Self-starter who is smart, driven, and hardworking
- Pre-seed through Series C experience; must be flexible and strategic enough to understand the tradeoffs between time, money and quality
- Very interested in ownership and product with a desire to own a part of the product from end to end - looking at data, coming up with ideas, spec'ing and launching new products
- Consistent demonstration of hard work and a bias for action.
- Strong communication, with ability to distill complexity into clear and concise messaging.
- Passionate about Shef’s mission to provide talented cooks with economic opportunity and to share their food with our communities
- Hybrid role in the San Francisco Bay Area.
At Shef, we are building a platform that celebrates difference and cultural inclusivity by providing equitable opportunities for economic empowerment and by reimagining food making and sharing in our 21st century world. Our employee, shef, and customer communities represent a wide, beautiful cross-section of individuals from diverse cultures, ethnicities, races, and walks of life.
Shef is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to build a team that reflects the communities we serve, and a workplace that nurtures and empowers unique identities and experiences. We are committed to advancing equity in a tech industry that has often fallen short. We strongly encourage applications from BIPOC (Black; Indigenous; People of Color), women, LGBTQ+, and other individuals who are underrepresented in the industry, across color, religion, race, ethnic and national origin, physical ability, gender and sexual identity.
For individuals who require an accommodation during the interview process, please advise your company contact.
Note: Please protect yourself from job scams! Do not respond to fake employment offers for Shef from third-parties.
Shef will never ask for money or fees at any point during the interview process; if you are being asked to send money as part of your interaction do not send money.
Shef does not ask applicants to communicate through Telegram, Skype or WhatsApp. If you are being asked to download a third party app to communicate for a job interview, do not download.
Shef posts all legitimate job openings on our jobs page. You may come across job postings on various job boards. Any legitimate role on a third party site will also be posted on our careers page. Please verify a role exists or apply directly at https://jobs.lever.co/shef.
If you come across any of the situations above, please report them to our recruiting team.