Category Manager, Indian
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2023
WHAT WE DO
At Shef, we are building a homemade food marketplace. We believe in providing the shefs in our community (refugees, immigrants, stay-at-home parents, retirees and out-of-work restaurant chefs) the opportunity to make a meaningful income by doing what they love! We also believe that every person should have access to a wholesome, home-cooked meal at an affordable price. Building a community devoted to economic empowerment and cultural inclusivity -- that's why we started Shef.
We are committed to reimagining home cooking around the country to empower everyone to make meaningful incomes by feeding their neighbor and have raised over $100m from investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, Craft Ventures, and M13, as well as founders and executives from Instacart, TaskRabbit, StubHub, AngelList, Lyft, Airbnb, and Yelp. We have a ton of exciting work ahead of us and are excited to have you join us!
As the Category Manager, Indian you will own the Indian category at Shef, which is a critical piece of our business.. You will lead strategy, execution, and performance of this category, and you will work collaboratively across a variety of business functions including supply & demand growth, merchandising, product and marketing. This is a role with national scope that sits in our operations department, reports to our operations director and works regularly with our local ops, central ops, marketing, product, and engineering leaders. Given the size of our team, this role will be execution-heavy in the near-term, with significant collaboration / support from other teams.
This is a hybrid position located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Local candidates only.
- You know the Indian community inside out. You thoroughly understand consumer preferences, buying behavior, and regional and sub-regional cuisines.
- You are an entrepreneurial operator that loves early stage startup building, have a knack for problem solving, and thrive in ambiguity.
- You have a healthy mix of creative, big-picture thinking, attention to detail, analytical thinking, and the ability to execute swiftly.
- You have a roll-up-your-sleeves mindset and are not afraid to get your hands dirty executing on operational day-to-day needs.
If this describes you well, we would love to meet you!
- Grow Shef’s Indian category GMV, including acquisition and retention optimization.
- Lead strategy/execution of Indian supply acquisition, merchandising, and retention.
- Work closely with local & central operations to execute supply, demand, and fulfillment workInform and assist the marketing team in user acquisition, retention, and brand efforts.
- Analyze data. Including but not limited to user conversion, ordering behavior, retention, supply performance, merchandising performance.
- Own category performance reporting and regularly analyze impact of work.
- Regularly collect and synthesize customer insights.
- Remove blockers, solve problems, and find a path forward through ambiguity, operating in a dynamic and rapidly growing environment.
- Strategize, develop, and drive product improvements in partnership with product and engineering teams.
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience.
- 6-8+ years of operations management, general management, business consulting, or related experience managing categories, verticals, geographies, or operations.
- 5+ years of startup experience
At Shef, we are building a platform that celebrates difference and cultural inclusivity by providing equitable opportunities for economic empowerment and by reimagining food making and sharing in our 21st century world. Our employee, shef, and customer communities represent a wide, beautiful cross-section of individuals from diverse cultures, ethnicities, races, and walks of life.
Shef is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to build a team that reflects the communities we serve, and a workplace that nurtures and empowers unique identities and experiences. We are committed to advancing equity in a tech industry that has often fallen short. We strongly encourage applications from BIPOC (Black; Indigenous; People of Color), women, LGBTQ+, and other individuals who are underrepresented in the industry, across color, religion, race, ethnic and national origin, physical ability, gender and sexual identity.
For individuals who require an accommodation during the interview process, please advise your company contact.
Note: Please protect yourself from job scams! Do not respond to fake employment offers for Shef from third-parties.
Shef will never ask for money or fees at any point during the interview process; if you are being asked to send money as part of your interaction do not send money.
Shef does not ask applicants to communicate through Telegram, Skype or WhatsApp. If you are being asked to download a third party app to communicate for a job interview, do not download.
Shef posts all legitimate job openings on our jobs page. You may come across job postings on various job boards. Any legitimate role on a third party site will also be posted on our careers page. Please verify a role exists or apply directly at https://jobs.lever.co/shef.
If you come across any of the situations above, please report them to our recruiting team.