Maritime Data Analyst
Sofar Ocean Technologies
Sofar is on a mission to connect the world’s oceans. We design, build, and deploy the largest privately owned network of marine weather sensors to power the world’s best marine weather forecasts. Our data helps our customers to increase efficiency and reduce emissions, delivering tools to governments and other stakeholders to understand impacts of climate change on extreme weather and ocean health. We live on Planet Ocean, and our goal is to create the ocean intelligence needed to ensure a sustainable future.
We are looking for an experienced Maritime Data Analyst to join our team to help the maritime shipping industry adapt to a rapidly changing economic, regulatory, and ocean environment.
Wayfinder, our dynamic voyage optimization platform, is a ground-up new technology that uses our proprietary data and forecasts to deliver the most efficient strategies to vessels and shoreside teams in real-time. Data-driven, dynamic optimization unlocks unprecedented potential for efficiency and savings, and gives Owners, Operators, and Charterers unparalleled control over speed, fuel consumption, and their CII strategy.
The role presents a unique opportunity for an ambitious individual to drive the development of next-generation vessel performance models, the vessel speed and fuel consumption prediction model at the core of our maritime route optimization platform
Impact you’ll own
- Analyze large datasets of vessel performance data to identify trends, patterns, and opportunities for model improvement.
- Continuously monitor the performance of vessel performance models to detect anomalies, deviations, and potential issues.
- Calibrate and fine-tune performance models to ensure they accurately reflect real-world vessel behavior and conditions.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams, including data scientists, software engineers, and maritime experts to incorporate feedback and enhance model performance.
- Maintain detailed documentation of model calibration processes, changes, and improvements.
- Conduct thorough quality assurance checks on model outputs and make adjustments as needed to improve accuracy.
- Education in science / engineering / math or equivalent experience.
- Excellent attention to detail and a commitment to data accuracy.
- Passionate about the ocean and marine technology.
- Excited about the prospect of joining an agile, fast-moving team.
- Comfortable using Python and Python-based optimization / numerics / machine learning frameworks.
- Excited to use data-driven approaches to build meaningful insights from ocean data for industry and society.
- Experience in vessel performance modeling, calibration, or a related field within the maritime industry is preferred.
- Background in marine technology or related fields (ocean engineering, naval architecture, etc.)
- Knowledge of software development, development workflows, code management software such as Git/Github, sharing findings through Jupyter notebooks, etc.
Estimated Salary Range
- The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, experience, and equity package.
Sofar's Commitment to Climate Justice
We at Sofar Ocean acknowledge that careers in the marine sciences “... have traditionally been, and remain, non-diverse work environments”, thereby limiting the entry and prosperity of underrepresented groups in the space. (Johri et al., 2021) Many of these same groups are disproportionately affected by climate change, and are often excluded from decision-making that directly address their interests and needs.
We are committed to addressing these climate injustices and highly encourage people who identify as women, LGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.