Engineering Manager, Software
Sofar Ocean Technologies
Sofar is on a mission to connect the world’s oceans. We design, build, and deploy the largest privately owned network of marine weather sensors to power the world’s best marine weather forecasts. Our data helps our customers to increase efficiency and reduce emissions, delivering tools to governments and other stakeholders to understand impacts of climate change on extreme weather and ocean health. We live on Planet Ocean, and our goal is to create the ocean intelligence needed to ensure a sustainable future.
About the role
We are looking for a product-driven Software Engineering Manager to join our team as we scale our Wayfinder software product to transform the maritime transport industry towards a more sustainable future. Today, Wayfinder provides real time routing guidance to the largest shipping vessels in the world, providing critical decision making context for sea captains as they navigate the world's oceans.
Building a great product will require you to have a deep understanding of our customers, their workflows, and the data they work with every day. You will collaborate with a top-notch team of engineers, ocean scientists and product designers to translate these user needs into high quality software that empowers our users with data to get their work done more efficiently.
This role calls for a capable people manager who will be responsible for recruiting, hiring, and retaining a team of passionate IC engineers. The right candidate is able to evaluate the performance of engineers with various levels of experience, provide coaching and mentorship to help individuals level up their skills, have difficult conversations when team members are not meeting expectations, and work cross-functionally in a fast-moving startup environment.
- Passionate about building a product with a positive impact on the world
- 2+ years experience as an Engineering Manager, responsible for people management and feature delivery on a technical team
- A solid strong communicator and collaborator who can partner effectively with other engineering managers, designers, product mangers, sales, scientists and customers
- A considerate technical leader who can evaluate the tradeoffs between various engineering approaches and guide the team towards the best choice to suit the business needs
- Strong knowledge of how modern cloud applications and the web work
- Experience hiring for and leading teams at a fast-growing startup is a major plus
- Professional experience with modern Typescript, React, and/or node.js is a plus
Estimated Salary Range
- $180,000 - $215,000
- The range listed is what we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range and may be modified in the future. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, experience, and equity package.
Sofar's Commitment to Climate Justice
We at Sofar Ocean acknowledge that careers in the marine sciences “... have traditionally been, and remain, non-diverse work environments”, thereby limiting the entry and prosperity of underrepresented groups in the space. (Johri et al., 2021) Many of these same groups are disproportionately affected by climate change, and are often excluded from decision making that directly address their interests and needs.
We are committed to addressing these climate injustices and highly encourage people who identify as women, LGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) to apply.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.