Regional Director, Technical Advisory - West
ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code intelligence platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. By enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our business is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code intelligence yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
🌎 Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role. However, your working hours must overlap with US Pacific Time (US West region) for at least 32 hours/week.
Why this job is exciting
As Regional Director (US-West and APAC), you’ll lead our exceptional high agency all-remote team of Technical Advisors (post-sales customer success). Our Technical Advisors lead user onboarding and nurture activities for our customers: they work to ensure our customers are achieving their desired positive business outcomes within their business, maximize their return on investment (ROI), and ensure a long-term happy partnership. This is the team that thrives on training and enabling users, knowing their customers’ business and needs deeply, thrives on relationship-building and connection, and is the main technical point of contact our customers trust post-sales.
As a Regional Director, you will be responsible for leading our post-sales customer success efforts. You will also lead multiple key initiatives that directly drive our company-wide goals and enable us to become the de facto code intelligence platform. In this role, you will:
- Help manage and develop our team’s ability to retain and grow happy, healthy customers.
- Establish, refine, and scale core post-sales processes such as user onboarding, business reviews, health assessments, and more.
- Build out automation and reporting to ensure a consistent customer experience.
- Collaborate with a variety of internal functional areas to ensure customers’ needs are broadly represented and adequately addressed
- Lead the growth of our Technical Advisory organization as we look to deliver real results to our customers
📅 In the first 30 days you will…
- Go through a multi-week onboarding process including training on our product, our value propositions, our customers, our team, and our processes.
- Meet our Technical Advisory team and begin the process of forging a long standing partnership with each of them.
- Learn about how we discover relevant use cases, map those to key product capabilities and demonstrate the value of Sourcegraph to customers.
- Dive deep into our existing customer experience - processes, tools, and templates.
- Meet other internal organization leads and begin establishing working relationships.
📅 In the first 60 days you will…
- Take over direct front-line management of the existing team, which includes:
- Doing a regular reviews of each TA’s book of business with an emphasis on customer health
- Making technical or strategic suggestions to unblock any issues for TAs and the customers they serve
- Regularly providing feedback to the team to encourage personal and career development, and
- Staying in lock-step with adjacent teams and leaders to ensure consistent alignment along all customer touch points.
- Based on your observations thus far, make recommendations to leadership for improvement or the stand up of new processes, tools, templates, etc.
📅 In the first 90 days (and beyond) you will...
- Place your unique stamp on Sourcegraph by capturing and sharing the innovative approaches you and your team come up with and driving those through the rest of the organization.
- Take ownership of and execute the processes that will enable us to innovate and scale the TA function at Sourcegraph.
- Develop and grow the TA team by cultivating a first class team, culture, process, and results. Results can be seen in Sourcegraph growth (revenue and adoption) and customer happiness.
You are an experienced, hands-on, collaborative, people-driven leader who has the skills to effectively drive progress toward our organization’s ambitious and technically challenging objectives. You build strong relationships with your team and peers alike and are a solid communicator. You are strongly aligned with our values and inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code.
If you are passionate about technical customer success, then this role might be a perfect mutual match.
🔍 Your skillset:
- 3-5 years minimum of direct leadership experience managing a post-sales client facing role (eg, Solution Architect, Solution Consultant, Customer Success Manager, Technical Account Management, etc.)
- Proven ability to build, scale, and optimize a post-sales team
- Experience implementing account growth strategies and driving net retention
- Direct experience leading a team that works with a technical product (dev tooling or adjacent) and buyer (developers up to VP of Eng)
- Past development experience or strong understanding of software development concepts and workflows
- Ability to build relationships with technical stakeholders
- Data-driven mindset with ability to analyze customer health scores, usage data and satisfaction metrics to drive key initiatives
- Experience with key customer success tools (e.g. Vitally, Gainsight, Totango, ClientSuccess, etc)
- Ability to work core business hours for US Pacific Time (US West region)
📊 This job is an M4. You can read more about our job leveling philosophy in our Handbook.
💸 We pay you an above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world (unless specified otherwise in the job description), and we’ll never take your location or current/past salary information into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, our compensation ranges are visible to every single Sourcegraph Teammate. To determine your salary, we use a number of market and data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market regardless of where you live in the world.
💰 The target compensation for this role is $253,833.00.
📈 In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
We expect the interview process to take 5.5 hours in total.
👋 Introduction Stage - we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
- [30 min] Recruiter Screen with Grace Bohl
- [30 min] Hiring Manager Screen with VP Technical Success
- [45 min] Peer interview with US-East TA Manager
🧑💻 Team Interview Stage - we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
- [60 min] Resume Deep Dive
- [45 min] Team leadership experience interview with 2 potential direct reports
- [30 min] Cross-functional Team Collaboration interview with adjacent Sales leader
🎉 Final Interview Stage - we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
- [30 min] Values Interview
- [30 min] Cofounder interview with Quinn Slack or Beyang Liu
- [30min] Leadership interview with Carly Jones
- We check references and conduct your background check
Please note - you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
We provide competitive compensation and practical benefits to keep you happy and healthy so that you can do your best work.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.
Sourcegraph participates in E-Verify for U.S. Employees
Something looks off?