Square Roots Urban Growers
About Square Roots
Square Roots is the technology leader in indoor farming. Our mission is to future-proof agriculture for a world facing climate change.
Founded by serial entrepreneurs, Kimbal Musk and Tobias Peggs, Square Roots partners with food distributors, retailers, consumer goods producers, and foundations. Our farming-as-a-service model combines proprietary technology, indoor growing expertise, and production facilities, to deliver bespoke value to our customers in the short-term while contributing to climate change solutions for the long term.
About the Role
We are looking for a Staff Accountant to join our Finance and Accounting team. This role is critical in ensuring that our daily accounting operations run smoothly and that the business can grow as efficiently as possible.
This is the perfect position for a staff accountant with 2+ years of direct or accounting experience in a public accounting setting, ready to take the next step in their career—someone who can work fast, with a trained and detailed eye, and who also has the confidence and entrepreneurial spirit to jump in and start executing.
We rely on data to inform progress and decisions and want to continue to leverage and learn from our financial data. The Staff Accountant will be integral in working across our team to collect, refine, and report financial data accurately, confidently, and timely -- while working closely with, and reporting to, our VP of Finance.
You should have an understanding of GAAP and internal controls. And certainly, a demonstrated interest in the food and/or agriculture industries is important.
This is a hybrid role, and eligible candidates will need to be able to commute to our BK location on a weekly basis at minimum.
- Support each department by processing vendor invoices and credit applications in a timely manner.
- Own the Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable functions for the entire company. This includes, but is not limited to, processing vendor invoices, credit applications, and customer payments.
- Process expense allocations, monthly accruals, and amortization of prepaid expenses
- Stay current with Quickbooks’ capabilities, best practices, and upcoming releases. Manage integration of various platforms with Quickbooks
- Be a point of contact for vendors and customers.
- Code and reconcile credit card transactions.
- Be responsible for the monthly close in accordance with GAAP.
- Assist with and eventually own the annual audit and tax requirements.
- Maintain Fixed Asset schedules on a regular basis to inform decisions and key stakeholders.
- Maintain accounting controls by following policies & procedures, and implement improvements & efficiencies
- Assist with investor inquiries.
- Provide additional ad hoc reports and analyses as needed, including budgeting and fundraising requests.
You have experience with:
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), AP, AR, bank and fixed asset reconciliations and monthly close processes.
- Relevant bachelor's degree
- 2+ years experience in an accounting role in a Public Accounting environment (e.g. at least 2 audit cycles), OR 5-7+ years experience in an accounting role in a small growth stage company
- Implementing and improving internal controls.
- Reconciling numbers & a commitment to accuracy
- Impeccable attention to detail with the ability to communicate that detail to people outside of finance.
- Accounting for various fundraising transactions.
- CPA License preferred, but not required.
- Prior grant and or project accounting experience is a plus.
- Intrinsically curious. You take the time to ask questions and make sure you understand the full picture and makeup of the numbers.
- A self-driven and diligent project manager who is highly motivated, has a sense of urgency, process-driven, and meticulous by nature. You’re super-organized and constantly demonstrate great follow-through.
- Experienced with Quickbooks Online.
- Comfortable working in a distributed team and have strong communication skills to make that successful.
- Able to prioritize tasks and pivot quickly as needed.
- Able to efficiently and effectively communicate and interact with all levels of the organization.
- Excited to work in a small team, in which you can wear many hats and take on a broad array of responsibilities
- Someone that has an interest in food systems and your community.
- Comfortable working in a hybrid remote/in-person environment.
- Detail-oriented and enjoy pulling together all pieces of information to get the big picture.
- Cognizant of when to escalate concerns or raise your hand for help to your team.
- A strong desire to grow your career in accounting and startup finance
- An above-average excel user (familiarity with high-level formulas, formats, sorting, etc)
More about Square Roots:
At Square Roots, we are committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. That’s why all entry-level roles start at Living Wage, not minimum wage, and it’s why we use third party benchmark data to inform salary across all roles and geographies. You can read more about our practices here.
Based on how we have planned for this role, we believe the range is $90k to $105k. However, this range may vary depending on skillset, experience, and geography.
Salary is just one part of compensation at Square Roots. We also offer generous health benefits, paid time off, free herbs and greens, and more!