Director of Marketing
About Square Roots
Square Roots is the technology leader in indoor farming. We create meaningful jobs in modern farming, empowering a new generation of leaders in agriculture. With production farms in Brooklyn, NY, Kenosha, WI, Grand Rapids, MI and Springfield, OH (with more to come in the near future). Square Roots is on a mission to responsibly bring our locally grown food to people in cities around the world, all year round.
The way we operate our business and operate our farms is better for local communities. Everyone on the Square Roots team—from farmers to engineers, commercial experts to operations specialists—is supported, connected, and empowered to do their best work to help Square Roots achieve its goals as a company.
About the Role
This role will lead marketing plans, portfolio and innovation strategy, shopper marketing, external communications and insights/analytics to drive brand awareness and trial while measuring and optimizing brand performance ongoing. This role will report to the EVP of Sales and Marketing and will manage a small team and external partners.
- Lead marketing plan development using a data-driven approach, including competitive tracking, brand health assessment, white space identification, and lessons learned to inform marketing goals and KPIs for success.
- Develop MarComm calendar and oversee tactical execution across all vehicles, regularly capturing learnings across Marketing, Communications, and Creative to inform future tactics and ongoing plan optimizations.
- Lead portfolio management and innovation strategy recommendations based on brand positioning, syndicated market data, and target consumer/customer insights.
- Lead shopper marketing by bringing best practices and leveraging consumer/shopper insights to convert shoppers into buyers, collaborating with Sales on programs that meet shopper needs, strategically align brand and customer objectives, and create strong differentiation for Square Roots with customers and shoppers.
- Manage PR agency to execute external communications strategy and drive ongoing awareness among priority audiences and in key markets to support business goals.
- Partner across internal teams and external agencies/partners to ensure ongoing brand storytelling, delivering a multi-channel drumbeat of brand stories across owned, earned, and paid media.
- Lead brand performance analytics and consumer research to inform brand building and portfolio decisions, collaborating with external vendors for successful execution.
- Manage Marketing budget and implement KPIs to measure success of marketing programs.
- Manage and develop 3 direct reports across Marketing and Creative.
You have experience with:
- CPG marketing experience required, 6-8 years of relevant experience.
- Food experience preferred, small consumer brand/startup experience a plus.
- Bachelor's degree required, MBA strongly preferred.
- Proficient in using and creating actionable insights from syndicated POS and panel data (SPINS or IRI or Nielsen) and consumer research studies.
- Using an established brand development toolkit to stretch a brand into new vehicles with a test and learn mindset.
- Experience developing and executing shopper marketing programs in Grocery, Natural and eCommerce retailers preferred.
- Experience overseeing social (organic and paid) and influencer programs preferred.
- Strong comfort and experience collaborating with an in-house Creative team.
- Experience briefing and managing external agencies and vendors required.
- A strategic thinker with a demonstrated track record of reaching overarching business objectives, balanced by strong detail orientation for successful execution.
- Extensively experienced in creating strategy presentations and marketing plans, and supporting customer sell-in materials with little oversight.
- A strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communicator, and able to present and interact well with senior leadership, customers, external partners, and internal stakeholders.
- An experienced people manager with a strong ability to coach, develop, and empower junior talent.
- Deft at handling multiple projects simultaneously, and adapting work to various audiences in a fast-paced environment.
You'll love working at Square Roots because:
- We're here to change the food system. You'll have the opportunity to play a significant role in our work at the intersection of technology, farming, and the global food industry - and we're only just getting started.
- Our team is driven by a shared set of values. These keep us aligned and remind us how to show up every day in the face of growth and ambiguity. Whether you’re working remotely or on the farms, collaboration, respect, optimism and humility are all embraced, and we seek to empower people at every step. Ask us about the rest!
- Benefits and perks, of course. We're all here first and foremost to play our part in the mission, but medical, dental, and vision coverage, flexible work life culture, and lots of samples of the delicious food we grow certainly do not hurt.
Something looks off?