Structural Welder (Starship Launch)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
STRUCTURAL WELDER (STARSHIP LAUNCH)
- MIG welding; cut, trim, fit and fabricate metal components to dimensions for building and assembling
- Collaborate with lead welder to ensure that the proper weld procedure, type of material and rod size are accurately assessed for each welding project
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications to plan welding operations where procedural information is unavailable
- Make a continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment
- Weld assembly and fabrication of various small to large scale structures and assemblies
- Effectively communicate with management/supervisors, engineering staff and planners to achieve build efficiency
- Modify repair, assemble, and install launch vehicles
- Check work after completion of each operation in job and/or completed job to ensure it is complete per drawing
- Handle and dispose of hazardous materials in approved manner
- Install and assemble custom and off-the-shelf tooling and machinery for building primary tank structure
- Setup of safety equipment and work platforms at elevation
- Operate general shop equipment and vehicles (forklifts, boom lifts, scissor lifts, etc.)
- 1+ years of experience with FCAW and SMAW welding
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years of experience with FCAW and SMAW welding with one or more of the following materials: stainless steel, carbon steel, Inconel, aluminum and titanium
- Highly proficient in tube cutting, grinding and fabrication
- Highly experience in Class A welds
- Certifications with AWS D17.1 and D1.2
- Experience with DC welding techniques, and engineering requirements
- Experience working with standard tools, materials, motions, and practices of the welding trade
- Knowledge in occupational hazards and effective safety precautions of the trade
- Knowledge in arc air procedures and equipment
- Experience operating overhead cranes and forklifts
- Experience using precision measuring instruments
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Must be available for all shifts (day shift, 6 AM - 6 PM or night shift, 6 PM - 6 AM), overtime and weekends as the schedule varies depending on site operational needs; flexibility is required
- Ability to stand for extended periods – 8 hours minimum
- Ability to lift heavy objects (up to 25 lbs.) unassisted
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings and climbing hand over hand
- Ability to work at elevated heights (up to 100 feet)
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.