Manufacturing Engineer, PCBA (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER, PCBA (STARLINK)
The Starlink Manufacturing Engineer will work inside the production organization to develop, manage, and improve the PCBA manufacturing process. Starlink needs the ability to continuously improve the quality and reliability of its products and production lines. This role looks to design production lines suitable to meet necessary rate, work with equipment suppliers to install and validate new equipment, and continuously seeks to improve the production process. We are actively looking for candidates who possess comprehensive knowledge of manufacturing and quality tools and have the motivation to work with supply chain to build a premium product at commercial scale volume.
- Own and manage PCBA manufacturing processes and PCBA products for in-house production
- Drive processes for volume production of PCBA including manufacturing execution, nonconforming product management, configuration management, traceability tracking, and process control
- Manage new product introduction of PCBA assemblies, working closely with design engineers, and process specialists
- Use process capability analysis, gauge R&R and other tools to lead new equipment selection
- Design and implement systems to improve the safety of the PCBA production line
- Manage work instructions, process documentation, and training
- Track schedule, work-in-progress levels, and defect rates of owned products
- Identify trends and opportunities for optimizing product output, quality enhancements, and cost of manufacturability
- Provide feedback to Engineering Design team to improve design for manufacturability
- Identify, root-cause, and correct SMT production and testing issues
- Drive corrective actions and process improvements on owned processes and products
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 1+ years of demonstrated experience in one of more of the following areas: manufacturing engineering, SMT, accelerated testing, design for reliability, or PCB design and layout (school and project experience will qualify)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- High volume production experience (consumer goods, automotive, etc.)
- Hands-on experience working in SMT processing and/or related PCBA processes from industry, research, or academic projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work both autonomously and as a team in a highly demanding, fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of IPC manufacturing standards
- Experience with SQL, Python
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and methods such as experiment design, process capability analysis, Gauge R&R
- Experience with Six Sigma
- Experience with basic failure analysis tools and methods (X-ray, cross-section, polishing)
- Demonstrated ability to gather, analyze, and use data to drive systemic improvements
- Ability to life heavy objects, up to 25 lbs. unassisted
- Willing to work weekend and extended hours as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Manufacturing Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Manufacturing Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.