Satellite Policy Advisor
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SATELLITE POLICY ADVISOR (STARLINK)
Starlink will provide high-speed broadband around the world. Telecommunication is a heavily regulated business and this position will direct SpaceX advocacy to ensure these regulations enable and protect the provision of this ground-breaking service. This position will require you utilize your technical and legal experience to advance Starlink’s licensing and spectrum position in front of domestic and global regulators and government bodies.
- Develop strategic guidance for the company to navigate regulatory and policy changes.
- Represent and promote the company’s positions before Federal agencies, regulators, regional organizations, and foreign governments.
- Draft required submittals, pleadings, letters, and other advocacy pieces to promote SpaceX’s policy positions.
- Monitor and analyze proceedings, prospective actions, or rules relevant to our products and services, including those if its competitors.
- Advise internal stakeholders on the steps and timelines required to obtain necessary authorizations or approvals, and if needed, modify the status quo.
- Optimize global licensing frameworks and spectrum availability by managing revisions or pursuing new/modified allocations with the necessary participants.
- Advocate to optimize prospective satellite and telecoms regulatory frameworks and policy environments in alignment with SpaceX business objectives.
- Contribute to company satellite spectrum policy and outreach activities with international bodies and regional organizations.
- Provide strategic regulatory advice and advocacy support to business development efforts.
- Juris Doctor degree.
- 4+ years of experience in the telecommunications sector or other experience with technology law or policy.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience as an advisor or litigator for a technology company.
- Experience understanding and overcoming technical challenges.
- Understanding of broadband and spectrum policy, foreign and domestic.
- Knowledge of key commercial and government players in the telecommunications/broadband industry.
- Willingness to travel approximately 20-30% of the time.
- Must be willing to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Policy Advisor: $190,000.00 - $230,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.