Manufacturing Engineer (Starlink Aviation)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (STARLINK AVIATION)
Starlink believes in providing fast, reliable internet to serve populations with little or no connectivity. We design, build, and launch the world's largest constellation of satellites, enabling us to operate a global internet network unbounded by traditional ground infrastructure limitations. In addition to direct-to-consumer service, Starlink is also developing high-speed internet for commercial and private aircraft.
We are looking for talented, detail-oriented engineers to help deliver Starlink to air passengers all over the world. The success of Starlink Aviation depends on the quality, reliability, cost, manufacturability, throughput, and security of the processes and hardware you help create. If you seek a fast-paced, dynamic environment; if you thrive on solving difficult problems where resolutions have high impact; and if you love the challenge of building something from scratch, then this role will be an ideal next career step.
- Develop robust, high-quality processes for manufacturing civilian-facing flight hardware
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team (design, build, and reliability engineers as well as production) to efficiently build, test and certify parts for various airframes on schedule
- Design and procure tooling and fixturing to improve ease of assembly and increase yield
- Lead prototype builds for new airframes being certified ensuring incremental milestones for the production development are met and communicated with the wider team
- Work with Starlink consumer hardware teams to ensure consumer parts are being produced on schedule and to the correct rigor required for aviation-use.
- Resolve complex manufacturing defects and eliminate root cause
- Write detailed production planning for technicians and collect and incorporate feedback to improve over time
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline or physics
- 1+ years of experience manufacturing, building, testing, or troubleshooting ‘hardware via professional work experience, project/research-based student experience, or a combination of both
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with developing production processes, factory optimization, or manufacturing methods
- Experience working with aviation hardware and understanding of FAA systems and processes
- Experience with Warpdrive work order and inventory systems
- Experience working on human-rated aerospace hardware
- Hands-on experience trouble-shooting, building and testing hardware
- Expertise transitioning products from prototype manufacturing through volume production
- Ability to work well in a team environment and ability to communicate clearly and accurately with a wide range of people
- Position may require extended work hours and weekend work
- Position may require standing, bending, stooping and working directly with hardware on the floor for up extended periods of time
- Must be able to lift up to 25lbs unassisted
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Manufacturing Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Manufacturing Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.