Sr. Designer, Surfacer & Feasibility, Plastic Injection Molding (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. DESIGNER, SURFACER & FEASIBILITY, PLASTIC INJECTION MOLDING (STARLINK)
SpaceX is developing a low latency, broadband internet system to meet the needs of consumers across the globe. Enabled by a constellation of low Earth orbit satellites, Starlink will provide fast, reliable internet to populations with little or no connectivity, including those in rural communities and places where existing services are too expensive or unreliable.
Working directly in the materials engineering group, this position will provide expertise and capability in building processes for the production of injection molds. You will make an impact on SpaceX’s Starlink product components alongside a strong group of mechanical and process engineers. The goal of the team is to develop new manufacturing methods, commission equipment and qualify processes to be introduced into production.
- Own parting line development and surfacing of in-house molds and components
- Responsible for all design for manufacturability (DFM) studies on plastic injection molded components
- Own and manage the feasibility and surfacing of critical mold components
- Interpret mold filling simulations and cooling analyses to drive feasibility and tool design
- Design tools to be manufactured in-house
- Support external tool designs and attend mold trials at vendor shops
- Ensure designs are safe, effective, and manufacturable
- 5+ years of experience as a designer
- 3+ years of feasibility and mold flow analysis
- Experience with NX
- Experience designing injection molds
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Extensive knowledge of standard mold components
- Experience with hot runner systems
- Knowledge of mold flow analysis
- Experience with multi-shot, compression and other tooling
- Knowledge of drafting practices and principles
- Understanding of strength of materials, automation, part assembly and process control techniques
- Must be willing to long hours and weekends as needed
- Must be willing to travel (up to 50%) to external supplies and other SpaceX facilities
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Sr. Surface Feasibility Designer: $110,000.00 - $145,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.