Propulsion Engineer (Raptor Avionics)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Propulsion Engineer (Raptor Avionics)
The Raptor Avionics team is responsible for the design, manufacturing and test of the all avionics installed on Raptor engines. This propulsion engineer role will be on a highly interdisciplinary team of engineers working to develop controls and sensing solutions that enable the reliable simultaneous operation of all the engines on starship.
- Development, test, and qualification of avionics hardware and sensors used on Raptor
- Collect and document requirements to communicate to stakeholders through data sheets, instruction manuals and other product documentation
- Coordinate, execute and document acceptance, qualification and development testing of avionics hardware
- Interface with vendors and internal production teams to support new product introduction & sustaining engineering
- Work across teams (systems, integration, dynamics, guidance, etc.) to ensure appropriate hardware / software is developed to meet vehicle requirements
- Participate in and prepare design reviews
- Investigate failures, document findings and drive corrective actions
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, physics with experience working on pressure transducers or physical sensors
- 1+ years of experience working with physical sensors, PCBAs and/or test development
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering or other technical field
- Experience with sensor calibration and/or test rack development
- Experience testing sensors and qualifying them for a given service environment
- Data analysis experience in Python, MATLAB or Minitab
- Advanced knowledge of various physical sensors and how they operate, designed, and manufactured
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Extended hours and weekend work may be required to support critical project and mission milestones
- Must be willing to travel < 30%
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.