Sr. RF Systems Engineer (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. RF SYSTEMS ENGINEER (STARLINK)
At SpaceX we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 1M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
Our Satellite Payload Engineering team develops the RF devices that power our satellites and ground antennas - from power amplifiers to waveguide components to reflectors to antennae. As a RF Systems Engineer, you’ll be responsible for simulating and modeling the terrestrial and orbital communication systems for Starlink and help define their architectures and specifications. You’ll also support our certification efforts as a liaison with our regulatory teams and various governmental bodies and industry organizations.
- Simulate and model communication systems
- Work with system architects, RF engineers, antenna engineers, modem/DSP, and ASIC engineers to partition functions between hardware and software domains
- Assess feasibility of various designs in support of architecture definition
- Deriving top level specifications for RF links and RF and antenna subsystems
- Characterize and analyze system performance
- Provide technical support to regulatory, coordination, and market access teams
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or other engineering discipline
- 5+ years of research or development experience in the areas of RF and antennas
- 1+ years of experience using one of the 3D EM simulation tools such as CST, HFSS, FEKO, SEMCAD, EMPro, TICRA or XFDTD
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master's degree or PhD in electrical engineering with emphasis in RF/microwave circuits or communication theory
- Experience performing analysis and simulation of communication systems
- Thorough understanding of RF passive and active components
- Experience characterizing radio performance at microwave frequencies
- Knowledge of digital communication systems, spread spectrum, single and multi-carrier techniques, modulation types such as PSK, APSK, QAM
- Understanding of electromagnetic propagation and antenna systems
- Experience in Matlab, Python, C++ or equivalent tools for modeling and analyzing RF systems
- Knowledge of RF transceiver architectures and digital communication theory
- Ability to work extended hours or weekends as needed for mission critical deadlines
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
RF Systems Engineer/Senior: $160,000.00 - $220,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.