Aviation Certification Engineer (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AVIATION CERTIFICATION ENGINEER (STARLINK)
- Produce certification deliverables on a tight timeline that comply with FAA regulations for supplemental type certification applications (project specific certification plans, test plans, analysis & substantiation reports, conformity inspection plans, operational documents, airplane flight manual supplements)
- Drive certification process improvements to reduce overhead and improve schedules for future certification applications
- Manage multiple concurrent certification efforts and provide regular updates on schedule and deliverables to senior management
- Act as the subject matter expert on the FAA certification process and how it integrates with SpaceX internal tools and processes
- Work with hardware owners to ensure regulatory compliance early in the design cycle
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering, math, or physics discipline
- 1+ years of experience in mechanical or electrical product design, testing, or manufacturing (internship or extracurricular experience is applicable)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of experience with FAA certification
- Experience with DO-160 environmental testing, aircraft ground testing, aircraft flight testing
- Previous ownership of an aerospace certification from application to FAA acceptance
- Demonstrated ability to produce documentation deliverables on a tight timeline
- Extremely strong proficiency with Microsoft Word as a tool to produce and manage large documents
- Experience generating schematics, diagrams, and data visualizations that clearly communicate design intent of systems, tests or analysis
- Hardware ownership for mechanical or electrical systems through entire lifecycle (design, qualification, manufacturing, and launch)
- Understanding of failure modes of complex mechanical and electrical systems
- Extremely strong verbal and written communication skills
COMPSENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Certification Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Certification Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.