Civil/Structural Engineer, Facilities
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
CIVIL/STRUCTURAL ENGINEER, FACILITIES
SpaceX is currently seeking talented individuals for a Civil/Structural Engineer position on the Launch Development Project team in Cape Canaveral. As a member of the Launch Development Project team you will work with a group of engineers across multiple disciplines to design, build and maintain infrastructure that is required to support all aspects of SpaceX launch activities, including Falcon launch and recovery, vehicle processing, spacecraft integration and Starship launch and recovery.
- Perform both civil and structural design and analysis calculations for structural steel and concrete as well as supplementary grading and drainage designs
- Write, negotiate, and manage construction contracts with subcontractors across multiple disciplines through contract close-out
- Lead the project team, consulting engineers and contractors throughout the entirety of the civil and structural engineering, procurement, construction, and commissioning process
- Develop and issue drawings, design documentation, and reports for aerospace, industrial, and commercial type projects
- Estimate material quantities, schedules, and costs for construction projects
- Support and manage the permitting process with AHJs and regulatory agencies
- Provide direct onsite engineering inspections and field observations
- Resolve design and construction conflicts in the field in real time
- Provide technical engineering support/information to ensure construction/maintenance complies with all standards, codes, and specifications
- Manage and support the civil and structural aspects for launch pads and facilities
- Collaborate and provide input to other members on a multidisciplinary team which may include HVAC, high power, cranes, and other facility systems
- Support corrosion control evaluations and repairs
- Bachelor's degree in civil engineering, structural engineering, mechanical engineering
- 2+ years of professional experience in civil or structural engineering design, analysis, construction, and drafting
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Professional Engineering (PE) license
- Experience with AutoCAD, Revit, or similar design software
- Experience reading, reviewing, and approving shop and fabrication drawings, blueprints, and technical manuals
- Experience with SAP 2000, STAAD Pro, RISA-3D, Etabs, or similar analysis software
- Experience with multi-acre land development projects that includes due diligence, site layout, utilities, drainage, and permitting
- Knowledge of American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) steel manual, American Concrete Institute (ACI) code 318, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) 7, and International Building Code (IBC)
- Understanding of other disciplines such as: mechanical, electrical, piping, geotechnical, and surveying
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral
- Willing to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain, wind, open ocean
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- When necessary, must be willing to work long hours and weekends to support launch and critical project timelines
- Must be willing to travel; this role is structured with up to 50% of project support requiring travel to Vandenberg AFB in California
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Civil Engineer/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Civil Engineer/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.