RF and Network Analysis Engineer, Starlink Regulatory (Starlink)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
RF AND NETWORK ANALYSIS ENGINEER, STARLINK REGULATORY (STARLINK)
At SpaceX we’re leveraging our experience in building rockets and spacecraft to deploy Starlink, the world’s most advanced broadband internet system. Starlink is the world’s largest satellite constellation and is providing fast, reliable internet to 1M+ users worldwide. We design, build, test, and operate all parts of the system – thousands of satellites, consumer receivers that allow users to connect within minutes of unboxing, and the software that brings it all together. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface of Starlink’s potential global impact are looking for best-in-class engineers to help maximize Starlink’s utility for communities and businesses around the globe.
Telecommunication is a heavily regulated business and this position will support the team that advises SpaceX on legal and policy advocacy to ensure these regulations enable and protect the provision of this ground-breaking service. This role will require you to apply expertise and focus to advance Starlink’s licensing and spectrum position in front of domestic and global regulators and government bodies.
- Support technical analyses pertaining to radio frequency interference and satellite spectrum coordination
- Model Starlink and other non-geostationary satellite’s operational topology and hardware
- Simulate for various scenarios considering regulatory constraints, geographic constraints, RF link budgets, constellation growth, customer growth, and coordination strategies, etc.
- Based on simulation results, analyze network and user experience impacts and make recommendations on satellite policy and coordination strategy
- Help provide strategic regulatory recommendations and advocacy support to business development efforts
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline
- 2+ years of software engineering experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Basic radiofrequency understanding
- Experience with Python and/or MATLAB
- Experience with Visualyse
- Basic understanding of satellite orbital mechanics
- Experience in software development
- Experience in modeling large non-geostationary satellite constellations
- Experience in satellite network simulation development and analysis
- Experience with RF topics in satellite communications, including link budgets, antenna theory and design, and interference analysis
- Understands satellite hardware and orbital mechanics
- Ability to work extended hours or weekends as needed for mission critical deadlines
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.