Automation & Controls Specialist
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AUTOMATION & CONTROLS SPECIALIST
Working for the Equipment Automation & Controls team, the Automation & Controls Specialist will be responsible for building, installing, and commissioning new automation assets, panel builds, and electromechanical controls systems. Additionally, the Automation & Controls Specialist will be responsible for assisting equipment maintenance with troubleshooting complex controls issues within existing SpaceX critical assets, with the focus on adding long term repairs that increase the overall reliability of production systems, rather than implementing quick fix solutions.
- Create, redline, modify, and correct electrical and pneumatic schematics for automated equipment using EPLAN Electrical/Fluid and Visio software suites
- Wire, commission, and validate electromechanical and pneumatic control systems
- Build control panels to NFPA 79 & UL 508A standards
- Design and commission basic PLC and HMI software applications
- Interpret and develop logic for Beckoff Twincat, Siemens TIA, and Allen-Bradley RSLogix
- Troubleshoot and modify PLC and HMI software
- Spec and procure required components, sensors, and hardware needed for implementing controls solutions
- Develop new and improve design on existing production assets
- Establish effective project management skills to drive efficient project completion
- Promote 5S principles of organizing and sustaining efficient and presentable team work spaces
- Read, understand and utilize system-level schematics (mechanical/electrical/pneumatic/hydraulic)
- Support Production Devices (HMIs, VM’s, Thin Clients, IIoT devices)
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 3+ years of automation experience in a manufacturing and production environment
- 3+ years of experience with working with mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic systems
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated hands-on skill in fault finding, mechanical system troubleshooting, and solid problem resolution skills
- Highly motivated with strong interpersonal skills; a team player, yet able to work independently when necessary
- Exceptional problem solving and communication skills, creative, and has strong organizational skills as well as documentation
- Strong, working knowledge of NFPA 70 (National Electrical Code), NFPA 70E (Standard for Electrical Safety), NFPA 79 & UL508A codes
- PLC & HMI programming experience or familiarization using Ladder Logic and Structured Text Language
- Mechanical equipment design/build experience
- Experience with electrical control panel design, building, and wiring
- Electrical schematic drawing/updates
- Excellent skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Detail oriented, organized, and able to demonstrate a high sense of urgency
- Ability to read and interpret electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic schematics and drawings
- Analytical skills - Skilled at gathering and analyzing information to understand complex situations and solve problems
- Ability to maintain a safe and clean working environment while adhering to company policies, quality policies, and industry standards
- Must be able to gain forklift certification
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. unassisted
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Must be willing to work all shifts, overtime and weekends as needed
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Automation & Controls/Level 1: $30.00 - $38.00/hour
Automation & Controls/Level 2: $34.00 - $43.00/hour
Automation & Controls/Level 3: $38.00 - $48.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k)-retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.