Automation & Controls Technician (Starship)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
AUTOMATION & CONTROLS TECHNICIAN (STARSHIP)
Working for the Automation & Controls team, the Automation & Controls Technician will be responsible for the installation and commissioning of new automation assets, panel builds and drawing updates. Additionally, the Automation & Controls Technician will occasionally assist maintenance with troubleshooting and repairs of existing assets.
- Wire and commission Electrical and Pneumatic automated control systems.
- Build control panels per schematics
- Work with external vendors to build and install panels
- Modify and update existing tooling
- Modify and troubleshoot simple PLC software
- Redline electrical and pneumatic schematics for automated tooling
- Own installations and perform early risk mitigation through daily communication with engineering, customers, and other concerned teams
- Promote 5s principles of organizing and sustaining efficient and presentable team workspaces.
- High school diploma or equivalent certificate
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a controls technician role
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Occupational trade school qualification in an electrical based field preferred
- Strong knowledge of NFPA 70 (National Electrical Code), NFPA 79 & UL508A codes
- Experience in a production environment, particularly as it relates to automation technology
- Demonstrable hands-on skill in fault finding, problem resolution
- Excellent mechanical aptitude
- Strong communication skills both written and oral. Ability to bring multiple departments with different priorities together and support them in achieving common goals
- Experience in building multiple panels, following drawing sets, back to back
- PLC & HMI programming experience
- Electrical schematic drawing experience
- Excellent skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Understanding of agile workflow and continuous improvement
- Demonstrated leadership experience, able to lead/supervise a team.
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings
- Ability to work at elevated heights (200+ feet)
- Ability to perform physical tasks such as climbing up and down stairs and/or ladders regularly throughout the day
- Ability to lift light weight supplies or materials (up to 25lbs unassisted)
- Available to work overtime and weekends when needed based on site operational needs; flexibility required
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, flashing lights, heat, cold, rain, and noise
- Occasional travel to other SpaceX or 3rd party facilities, up to 25%
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.