Launch Engineer, Spacecraft Integration (Dragon Maintenance)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LAUNCH ENGINEER, SPACECRAFT INTEGRATION (DRAGON MAINTENANCE)
- Develop and execute procedures for the integration and test of crew/cargo Dragon flight hardware as well as ground support equipment
- Responsible for enabling day-to-day execution of the vehicle maintenance, propellant system checkouts and avionics test flow
- Develop and refine inspection, repair/retrofit, assembly and system test procedures based on lessons learned to mature status
- Design high-level vehicle maintenance architecture including build flow and test operations for maximum efficiency
- Run vehicle system-level checkouts as a test conductor on console for flown capsules
- Manage work orders and the driving of non-conformances into actionable items and system improvements
- Maintain large integrated planning documents that are inclusive of varying capsule configurations and work scope
- Design and develop tools and hardware to enable vehicle processing and ensure vehicle testing abilities
- Help develop, build and maintain Dragon processing facilities
- Closely collaborate with engineering staff from other departments and highly skilled technicians on a daily basis
- Work with a government or commercial customer on pre- and post- flight preparations for human spaceflight
- Manage and track multiple priorities while maintaining a focus towards common project goals
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, physics, aerospace engineering, or other engineering discipline
- 1+ years of experience with multi-disciplinary system assemblies (past work experience, internships, team/personal projects with aerospace vehicles/payloads, automotive, aircraft, or marine assemblies qualify)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience working on spacecraft or launch vehicles
- Experience working with hypergols
- Experience in writing test plans and test procedures
- Proficiency in or hands-on experience with one or more of the following: launch vehicle or spacecraft integration; operations in 100,000 class or better clean rooms; test operations with gases/fluids; and data acquisition setup and field measurements
- Acute attention to detail
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- A positive, upbeat attitude and ability to perform work expectations and thrive in a high-stress environment
- Ability to work well in a team environment and communicate clearly and accurately with a wide range of people
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral
- Willing to work in clean room environment
- Physical effort including standing, lifting and carrying moderately heavy materials or equipment (15 to 35 lbs.)
- Comfortable being trained to work around hypergolic propellants (MMH and NTO) and willing to work with hazardous materials
- Overall mental fitness with the ability to work in a high-concentration, high-stress environment requiring prolonged mental concentration (under possible extended work hours)
- Occasional travel may be required
- Schedules vary due to site operational needs, and night/weekend shift rotations are often necessary – flexibility is required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Launch Engineer (Dragon)/Level I: $95,000.00 - $115,000.00/per year
Launch Engineer (Dragon)/Level II: $110,000.00 - $130,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.