SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The Facilities Technician will support the operation and maintenance of our Rocket Development Facility in McGregor, TX. This position is directly responsible for ensuring that our facility systems are in top-notch condition.
- Maintain and repair company machinery
- Perform basic rough and finished carpentry work in construction and repair of structures such as partitions, walls, doors, fences, window frames, office furniture, roofs, and shelves
- Remove broken glass, putty or plastic; replace windows and door hardware; replace or arrange for replacement of glass for windows, doors, and light fixtures
- Apply protective and decorative coats of paint, varnish, lacquer, and/or related materials to interior and exterior surfaces of buildings, furniture, equipment, and other structures
- Operate compressors, sandblasters, spray equipment, and other small power equipment
- Install, repair, and maintain drywall, wall texturing, and ceiling acoustic texturing
- Perform basic electrical installation and repair work in wiring for switches, outlets, plugs, cables, power circuits and appliances; repairs lighting systems; inspects electrical systems for unsafe conditions
- Identify and perform basic repairs of plumbing leaks or breaks; open clogged lines and drains; replace washers and other minor parts; maintain and monitor septic systems; repair and replace hot water heaters
- Maintain grounds in clean and orderly manner including mowing, trimming, weeding; maintain grounds maintenance equipment; assist in general grounds maintenance activities
- Pickup and deliver materials to work site. Materials may be located on site or off site and may require travel outside of the work location
- Lay forms, mix, pour and finish concrete for buildings, test stands, parking areas, etc.
- Obtain and maintain licenses, operator permits or certifications as required
- Perform other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 3+ years of experience installing, rebuilding, replacing, or repairing HVAC equipment including at least 3 of the following: fans, motors, thermostats, fuses, filters, bearings, valves, controls, and gaskets
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 10+ years of experience in carpentry, painting, HVAC, appliance repair, mechanical, heavy equipment, grounds maintenance, masonry, plumbing, industrial maintenance, and other related fields
- 10+years of experience of HVAC and refrigeration repair
- Effectively use a variety of hand and power tools; operate a forklift; read blueprints; review and identify projects needing to be services by outside contractors; follow oral and/or written instructions; communicate effectively in both oral and written form; maintain work logs; establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work assignments
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Knowledge and skill in hazardous materials handling, application, and disposal
- Use of precision measuring instruments
- Ability to rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Flight hardware typically is built in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required, also the ability to lift heavy objects is required in this position (up to 25lbs unassisted)
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings and climbing hand over hand
- Ability to work at elevated heights
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Schedule varies based on site operational needs; flexibility required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Facilities Technician/Level 1: $18.00/hour
Facilities Technician/Level 2: $20.50/hour
Facilities Technician/Level 3: $23.00/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.