NDE Inspector, Certified Welding Inspector (CWI)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
NDE INSPECTOR, CERTIFIED WELDING INSPECTOR (CWI)
The Non-Destructive Evaluation operations organization at SpaceX is an inclusive, inter-disciplinary team that is committed to providing high quality inspections of flight components and production assemblies. The breadth of exposure as an NDE Inspector is immense, as the organization is responsible for a broad range of inspection types across Falcon, Dragon, Starship, and Raptor programs. You have the ability to engage with the process to provide continuous improvement to execute on the mission to make humanity interplanetary.
- Perform internal and external inspections to determine if a weldment/structure meets the acceptance criteria of a specific code, standard or document
- Interpret codes and specifications in accordance with the drawing requirements
- Use a computer to compile and submit data of acceptance or rejection of inspections, as well as for inter-office communications
- Recommend and approve repairs as well as perform visual inspection of work in progress and completed work
- Monitor welding processes such as gas tungsten arc welding, gas metal arc welding, flux cored arc welding, and shielded metal arc welding, and plasma arc welding and assuring they are performed in accordance with qualified procedures
- Verify and document welder qualifications
- Verify the compliance of base metals with the applicable specifications
- Appraise welding joint designs and joint preparations for compliance with drawing
- Verify proper fit, cleanliness, and environmental conditions
- Verify tack weld quality
- Verify preheat and interpass temperatures
- Assure the proper control and handling of welding consumables
- Verify the interpass and final cleaning
- Assure the product's conformity to drawings and specifications
- Verify cleanliness and weld surface quality
- Oversee NDT examinations, proof, and if required mechanical testing
- Oversee repair activities
- Verify the proper performance of post-weld heat treatments
- Confirm adequate documentation of fabrication and inspection activities
- Assist in training and developing of other teammates
- Support the development of NDE inspection techniques for complex geometries
- Interpret and review engineering drawings as required
- Interpret, evaluate, communicate, and report findings to production and engineering teams
- Perform surface, near surface, and volumetric NDE inspections with visual, magnetic particle, and ultrasonic inspection methods
- Conduct vendor surveillance audits of welding and inspection work as needed
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- Current American Welding Society (AWS) Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) certification
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of experience as a Certified Welding Inspector (CWI)
- Extensive knowledge of industry standards including ABS, AWS, and ASME
- Working knowledge of surface and subsurface NDE methodologies
- NDT level II certification in line with ASNT-TC-1A or NAS-410 or DoD guidance in at least one of the following: visual (VT), magnetic particle (MT), ultrasonic (UT), phased array (PAUT), eddy current (ET), or dye penetrant (PT)
- Travel up to 50% of the time
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. unassisted, bend stretch, stand for extended periods of time, climb stairs, reach, twist, sit, walk, and/or run
- Willingness to work overtime hours and weekends when needed to meet critical deadlines
- Ability to pass Space Force and/or Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
NDE Inspector, Certified Weld Inspector/Level 1: $23.00 - $31.00/hour
NDE Inspector, Certified Weld Inspector/Level 2: $28.00 - $38.00/hour
NDE Inspector, Certified Weld Inspector/Level 3: $33.00 - $44.75/hour
NDE Inspector, Certified Weld Inspector/Level 4: $38.00 - $51.50/hour
NDE Inspector, Certified Weld Inspector/Level 5: $43.00 - $58.25/hour
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.