Operations Engineering Manager (Production)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
OPERATIONS ENGINEERING MANAGER (PRODUCTION AND LAUNCH OPERATIONS)
Serve as operations engineering manager responsible for coordinating operations, conducting strategic planning, aligning resources to priorities, assessing progress towards targets, and optimizing operations for the Falcon 9 family of rockets and Dragon capsules. Lead a team of highly-skilled engineers and data analysts who proactively identify and address operational challenges, implement industrial engineering practices, derive actionable information from data, and synchronize work priorities across SpaceX production and launch operations. Scope includes managing internal department priorities and resources, and synchronizing efforts with testing, supply chain, and other SpaceX elements to ensure falcon and dragon output matches launch manifest.
- Manage a team of operations engineers, industrial engineers, and data analysts to focus them on the company’s most critical problems. Manage their development and career progression to become SpaceX people-leaders.
- Align people, processes, products, parts, and physical plant to meet ambitious targets for safety, quality, output, and efficiency.
- Conduct operations engineering at a strategic level by optimizing resources, schedules, and risk under uncertainty across SpaceX production and launch.
- Analyze complex problems involving multiple stakeholders, driving towards optimal solutions in an uncertain and ambiguous future landscape.
- Manage the development of advanced tools to analyze delivery, capacity, costs vs benefits, supply chain, and operations to guide executive decisions in anticipation of change.
- Leverage operational data to identify trends, propose leading indicators, and provide predictive information to steer executive decisions.
- Lead inter-disciplinary and cross-functional teams to develop and manage production strategy, mitigate future risks, and seize emerging opportunities.
- Identify operational challenges within the organization, lead problem formulation, determine root cause, and implement creative and effective solutions.
- Develop key performance measures, and identify decision points and actions to optimize production to meet demand, ensuring measured parameters correlate with overall company objectives.
- Collaborate with cross-departmental partners in supply chain, engineering, operations, and finance groups to synchronize efforts.
- Capture best practices of production systems and manage organizational knowledge and lessons-learned.
- Manage production workforce development efforts to ensure technicians and engineers are trained, qualified, and incentivized to perform their assigned roles.
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline.
- 5+ years of professional experience in a manufacturing, military, aerospace and/or automotive environment.
- Experience leading a team of engineers/technicians.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience or education in management science and engineering, operations engineering, operations research, or industrial engineering.
- Experience with data-based decision making, modeling of complex systems, and framing executive decisions supported by engineering analysis.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, high stress environments.
- Excellent written and executive communication skills.
- Proficiency with statistics, data analysis, cost/benefit analysis, and visualization.
- Experience with data visualization tools, discrete event modeling tools, data queries and analysis.
- Experience leading in a developmental manufacturing environment, in aerospace production, or in a dynamic multi-dimensional industry.
- Ability to work autonomously, prioritize work, and make resource allocation recommendations that involve risk and uncertainty.
- Must be able to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed, including occasional short-notice domestic travel.
- Ability to pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Operations Engineering/Manager: $150,000.00 - $190,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.