Sr. Industrial Engineer, Lean Specialist (Thermal Hardware)
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SR. INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER, LEAN SPECIALIST (THERMAL HARDWARE)
As a Manufacturing Improvement Lean Leader at SpaceX you will champion the Thermal Hardware Manufacturing Lean transformation. The job will require you to actively develop and deploy Lean Management systems through training, coaching, and manufacturing projects with multiple support functions. You will actively work on the shop floor to understand production constraints and bottlenecks streamlining the value stream to work more efficiently with less inventory.
Partnership with plant leadership will be required to develop a continuous improvement and waste elimination mindset by applying Lean methodologies. The position’s deliverables will be tied to metrics related to the impact of the transformation, KPIs as productivity output, work in process, lead time, key process quality inputs and outputs, and manufacturing cost.
- Partner with operations to improve labor efficiency and utilization in a high-growing manufacturing environment through Lean methodologies
- Partner with engineering to implement high-fidelity quality metric reporting and accelerate delivery of improvements to the production system
- Develop details for Lean roadmap improving shop floor flow and enforce execution reducing cycle time, inventory, and waste elimination
- Design and optimize site layouts for production, material flow, construction, and facilities utilizing Lean methodologies such as 3P
- Support and drive Kanban implementation, pull system / single piece flow, point-of-use, 5S, materials replenishment, Total Productive Maintenance (TPM)
- Lead Value Stream Mapping and Kaizen events to identify process wastes and to develop and implement corrective actions through daily management systems
- Lead and support materials replenishment system with supermarket and water-spider concept
- Coach interns/engineers/operations leaders/cell leaders on Lean methodologies and concepts
- Perform data analysis and develop tools and metrics that improve productivity, including process quality metric reporting (key process inputs and critical process outputs)
- Use this data-backed understanding of production areas to develop insights into rate limiters and highest-impact areas of improvement
- Perform capacity calculations and process capability studies to determine rate readiness for production areas
- Bachelor’s degree in industrial engineering or other engineering field
- 5+ years of experience as an industrial, process, or manufacturing engineer in a manufacturing environment
- 5+ years of Lean manufacturing and principles experience
- 5+ years of experience leading people or projects
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to influence without authority
- 5+ years of supply chain
- Ability to work with a high level of autonomy
- Self-motivated to identify and pursue projects and engage the stakeholders needed to enable success
- Documented success in working on cross-functional teams
- Experience with multiple modules of ERP and MRP systems
- Experience with SQL, PowerBI, Teamcenter, Python, Excel, Tableau, and Visual Basic
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills
- Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt certification
- Ability to travel 25-35% of the time as per business need
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings, and climbing hand over hand
- Able to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
- Work performed in an environment with exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Must be able to work all shifts, extended hours, and weekends as needed
- Schedule varies depending on site operational needs; flexibility required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Sr. Industrial Engineer, Lean Improvement: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.