Lead Manufacturing Engineering Development Technician
LEAD MANUFACTURING ENGINEERING DEVELOPMENT TECHNICIAN
The engineering technician will be a hands-on liaison with engineering, helping to carry out ideas from concept to reality. A strong background in composites, manufacturing, R&D, and qualification testing is desired.
- Assign and prioritize work based on production schedule.
- Schedule risk identification and mitigation.
- Coordinate support organization efforts to minimize production interruptions.
- Improve area safety and efficiency through regular auditing and continuous improvement.
- Run root cause analysis and the implementation of corresponding corrective action plans.
- Maintain area metrics in addition to tooling and consumable supply inventory.
- Document non-conformances and associated rework, and quickly return non-conforming product back into normal workflow.
- Perform verifications and document results independently in a clear, precise and complete manner.
- Assist with transitioning product from engineering development and initial production to full rate production.
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate.
- 5+ years of composites experience.
- 1+ years of experience utilizing composites repair techniques such as bonded hardware removal and/or scarf repairs.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of experience working at SpaceX.
- Proficient in hand layup and vacuum bagging.
- Proficient in preparing specimens for testing and/or performing testing.
- Able to interpret engineering drawings.
- Experience using power tools for cutting or drilling composites or metals.
- Proficient using measurement tools such as calipers.
- Experience performing composite coupon, sub-assembly, and assembly testing (proof, ultimate, strain, physical properties, chemical properties).
- Experience preparing for and performing qualification tests.
- Experience working with engineers or scientists in a development environment.
- Experience using a microscope to evaluate specimens.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Experience assembling composite and composite/metallic structures including setup, bonding and fastener installation.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs. unassisted.
- Must be able to climb ladders and be comfortable working in tight spaces.
- Must be able to move repetitively, bend or twist, and use hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- Must be willing to work all shifts, over time, and weekends as needed.
- Must be willing to travel up to 25%.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Level 4: $38.00 - $48.00/hour + $2.00/hour lead differential
Level 5: $43.00 - $57.00/hour + $2.00/hour lead differential
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation and will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year.
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.